Spring Fin Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pressurehead

Without risk, you earn nothing. OK?
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Spring fin straps, I changed to spring straps on my Mares Excite Pro fins , thought they were "the Bees knees", i.e. very good at first, after a few dives I am not so sure, now find the original straps better, on/off, comfort, weight, etc.
Anyone else find this?
I do carry a spare in my 'save a dive kit' though, seen too many break.

I like 'em, wouldn't go back to rubber straps with buckles. The rubber straps and buckles are too finicky to take on and off, and they break too often. Springs, as long as they're sized right (!) work so well.

Although I've also heard good anecdotes about bungees or surgical tubing and could be tempted to try one of those setups. Maybe the best of both worlds?

To each their own. Too many different styles of diving, boots, fins, and feet for only one solution to be the "one true answer".

dscf2972-jpg-397057-jpg-450505-jpg-455580-jpg.462242.jpg

I'll never go back to spring straps. Bungees are secure, easier to don/doff, simple to replace and cheap.

spring straps PAH!

I just love them just love them nothing better brewed so carefully
I just love squeezing over to grab the strap and to pull both sides
grab and pull both sides clack clack clack as you get them taught

full.jpg

easy to unbuckle to wrap around your first for the big walk down
gear up clip your chest strap through them and walk to the edge
and you wait, for that swell, that's hitting the rock, to be just right
then you dive right in, and pull yourself down through the growth
and on your back wedge yourself in some of the stuff down there
and grab your fins, put them on, pull both sides, clack, clack, clack!

full.jpg

and never lost a buckle or a strap or a keeper or a fin or anythin

The easy comfortable broad strap, you just adjust to your mood

Melbourne bitter nothing better brewed so carefully

"LUV EM"

Melbourne bitter nothing better brewed so carefully
What?
OK, off topic, but Australian designed hop, Pride of Ringwood [in Melbourne Bitter, VB ,XXX and other rubbish beers] tastes like, and has the aroma of Bar mop towel [not that I have tasted one] ,yuck.
On topic: I have fins with straps that go "clack, clack" , and extra of traps for them, but don't use them anymore, easy on/off one hand now days, I am over years of doing the clack,clack crap. Almost rhymes.
Such fun.

I can't stand the straps that came with these fins. Fell down several times trying to get my fins on whilst on the dock. Switched to these and problem pretty much solved. These are Mares bungees and fit perfectly.

p2358522282-5.jpg

I prefer springs over click/clack-bungee over springs.
240598-4aeb6188ac552bc4798aefa9a16863ab.jpg

I'm a fan of Mares Avanti Quatros fins. Their version of a spring is the surgical tubing pictured in Post #7. I have springs on my jet fins. The surgical tubing is more comfortable, BUT, they fail with little or no warning. If you go the Mares route, always carry a backup. I also keep several feet of small surgical tubing in my save a dive kit to make fin straps or mask straps out of if necessary.

Safe travels,
Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom