Spring life expectancy - Scubapro 2nd stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aoumi

Registered
Reaction score
Recently, I could not get a couple of my 2012 manufactured G250V 2nd stages to tune correctly, and after much head-scratching came to the conclusion that the springs had gone out of spec. (Confirmed by testing a S360 spring in them).

I'm also having similar problems with a 2014 manufactured S560.

Does anyone know the average in-tune life expectancy of these 2nd stage springs? The G250V springs are way out of spec (7-8 years old), and the S560 spring is heading that way (5-6 years old).

Is about 4-5 years max the usual replacement time for a spring?

Thanks.

Oddly enough, the springs in some of the older models (G250/Balanced Adjustable) last for a very long time. 25-30 years in some cases. But you are correct, the newer springs are not as consistent. "They don't make them like they used to."

I am going to say a bad batch of springs. Materials/ heat treat/post-winding stress relief failure likely endemic for that entire batch.

Couv, do all SP air-balanced seconds use that same spring?

One thing that irks me is people who crank the adjustment knob all the way in and leave it there. These should be stored all the way out, only cranked in when in use.

Not to mention they are putting more engraving pressure on the LP seat.

Couv, do all SP air-balanced seconds use that same spring?

As far as I know, yes.

I have a G-500 that won’t tune below 1.7, I am going to replace the plastic oraface and the spring for good measure. I bet one of those nails it.

Do us a favor please and replace one item at a time.

Thanks for all the replies so far. It seems that springs can vary significantly depending on numerous factors. Interesting that the 2nd stage troubleshooting guides often mention - "Replace spring".

One advantage to the newer regs, like the G260, s600 etc is the ability to adjust the spring apart from the orifice.

Ahh but Lex, the G-500 is the same way! Something is still wonky inside. It’s essentially a proto G-600 with a different front cover.

if it cracks below 1.7, it free-flows. And I replaced the top hat poppet once.

Ahh but Lex, the G-500 is the same way! Something is still wonky inside. It’s essentially a proto G-600 with a different front cover.

if it cracks below 1.7, it free-flows. And I replaced the top hat poppet once.
And the G250HP, those all have reputations for being “finicky” I had an HP that I spent a lot of time on, at best it performed like it needed a tune, the 600, 260 tune easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom