Spring straps for Mares Raptor or Quattro Excel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MtnPlayVA

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does Mares make a spring strap for their fins? If not, any plans to market them? Is there a brand that fits well (read easy to install...)

We are planning to launch in December our spring straps. They will come in 3 sizes to accomodate a full size range.

Thanks for asking.

Does Mares make a spring strap for their fins? If not, any plans to market them? Is there a brand that fits well (read easy to install...)

I have some older Mares "plana avantiquattro". It looks like they have the same molded button strap-attach as the Quattro Excel.

Wayward Son here on Scubaboard custom made me a set of spring straps that fit and work really nice, and were quite reasonably priced. The attachment is a SS shackle bolt that goes over the button. Whether you regard that as "easy to install" I'll leave you to evaluate.

PM him for details if you're interested.

Here's a thread discussing this, including some photos (see post #18).
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/191307-ss-spring-straps.html

Attached are two images of the Mares spring strap. MSRP $70.00

Attachments

• 415348_STINLESS_STEEL_SPRING_STRAP_rear view.jpg
    415348_STINLESS_STEEL_SPRING_STRAP_rear view.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 174
  • 415348_STINLESS_STEEL_SPRING_STRAP side view.jpg
    415348_STINLESS_STEEL_SPRING_STRAP side view.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 149
Are the Mares spring straps available yet? It's December (just). When will be be available to Canada. Looking at adding them to my xmas list.

Hi everyone,

I hope you all had a nice holiday and perhaps a break from the everyday tasks list. The Mares spring straps will be available to a Mares authorized dealer by Jan 6, 2009. I'm afraid they aren't going to make it in time to put under the tree. Perhaps a gift certificate is in order. Thanks for hanging in there; I'm sure it will be worth it!

Best regards,

Zak, why are the Mares spring straps so expensive at $70? The Innovative Ez Spring Fin Strap sells for $29.95, but I am told will not fit the Mares fins. I just bought a pair of Volo Power fins and I do not care for the difficulty of unstrapping the ABS straps that came with the fins. I pulled my thumbnail off the first time. I love the fins, but would like a spring strap. Are the Mares spring strap the only option? Thanks!

Zak, why are the Mares spring straps so expensive at $70? The Innovative Ez Spring Fin Strap sells for $29.95, but I am told will not fit the Mares fins. I just bought a pair of Volo Power fins and I do not care for the difficulty of unstrapping the ABS straps that came with the fins. I pulled my thumbnail off the first time. I love the fins, but would like a spring strap. Are the Mares spring strap the only option? Thanks!

Thanks for posting your question. To be honest I am not familiar the the Innovative spring straps, so I can not honestly compare. I did a little searching around on the web and found most spring straps to be in the $70 range, some a little higher and some lower.

I have seen many 3rd party spring straps on our fins prior to the Mares branded straps. If you are to use an aftermarket product, you will have to modify the post that the strap assembles to. I do not suggest this, as you are altering an original product and therfore void warranty, can't go back to original straps, etc... Your mod, will remain permanent. Maybe a little searching around on the board to find out what others have done will help you come to a conclusion. I guess for me, I would spend the extra $40.00 and get the right thing the first time.

I hope this answers your question.

Best regards,

Zak

Attached are two images of the Mares spring strap. MSRP $70.00

You need to find a way to secure these to the fin. I have them and the strap falls off the fin post way too easy. Once they are on the feet they are GREAT. Until that point they are a flight risk (i.e. they will fall off and get lost some day). Maybe it is because my fins were 5 years old when I put the springs on....maybe not. Either way, my point stands. The product needs to be improved on from this design.

Zak, I went to my local dealer for Mares (West End Diving) and they did not have the Mares spring strap. He tried on the generic spring straps in stock and could not get them to fit. The notch on the hitching post on the fin blocked a good connection. He is going to order the Mares spring strip for me.

Here is the link to the generic spring strap by Innovative is $22.95 at scuba.com.

Back
Top Bottom