Spring Straps, Why are they DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
Showing my ignorance here... :p

Why are the spring heel straps for the ScubaPro jet fins considered part of the DIR kit?

Mike,

They pose less of an intanglement hazzard due to the fact they don't have the excess strap flapping where a line could become entangled.

In cave diving, if you don't use the spring heal straps you should duct tape the excess heal strap so it doesn't flap in the breeze.

ID

Mike,

I think the overall profile of the straps is more streamlined. I use Mares Avanti Quattros with the quick release buckles -- to someone diving in an overhead environment, these buckles are rather bulky and could easily snag on monofilment, etc.

Thanks guys. And like many DIR practices, all of those answers make good sense.

--Mike

Yup, more streamlined than most new buckles and much less likely to snag on cave line (if indeed you cave dive). Not to mention the fact that they rarely break.

Fin straps are a nuisance when diving in kelp. We used to reverse the straps. Undo the straps from the jets and feed them in so the ends are underneath and point backward. Keeps the straps ends out of the way and they won't catch.

I believe that h2oadventuregear.com is one place to get them. They run something like $50.00. I made a set for some IDI fins that I have and they were something like $14.00 to make with parts from McMasterCarr and hockey pucks from a sporting goods shop.

Joel

You can also use bungee cords as straps. That works great as well. You just pick up about 1/4 diameter bungee from Wal-Mart, cut to length, and attach them with hogg-ringers or zip ties. It works great on the Atomic splitfins because they have a post that you can double the cord around and then ring it with the hogg-ringers or zip ties. But that probably isn't the "Doing It Right" way of doing it. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom