Spring Straps, Why are they DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, don't bungee or springs wreak havoc on the achilles, seems to me that even with a bootie it would be rough on the tendons.

Jimbo

i put a set of spring straps on my Twinjet Graphites last Sunday and discovered that there were no problems with chafing on my Achille's tendon and the things were quite comfortable and stable in the water, and easy to use on the boat, with thick gloves and all.

One place on the West Coast that has them is Scuba Toys in Cypress, Orange County, Calif. Check out http://www.scubatoys.com for more info. On ebay the darn things were fetching $60.00.

A minor correction there....ScubaToys.com is actually the website for 2Dive4 in Dallas, Texas. Decent shop, only one in local area that has their own pool in the back room, good selection of gear.

Browsing through the Auto Section of Walmart before my trip, I found an interesting selection of bungee cords. Including some red ones with a small knob attached that are intended for use as tie downs when you loop it through a grommet. I am thinking of experimenting on using one or two of these in place of springs for my heel straps.

If they work, I will post a report and photos of how I installed them.

Ok -
Spring straps - $45 or so mail order or in the store...
http://www.h2oadventuregear.com/tek/accessories.html

Why are they a little more pricey here than when you make them yourself? Probably because these guys have tried a number of different materials and have arrived at the onew that last.

Why spring straps?
1) There are no snap buckles to break - this means one less failure point.
2) Did you ever get those foot cramps - well - not anymmore...
3) What snagging hazard?
4) Actually helps to keep air out of your drysuit boots.

A common scenario is for people to get Jets with spring straps and then remove the weight they had for ankle weights - not move it around - just loose it!!!

Someone asked about the sizes, since you do not want to stretch a spring as far as rubber - the straps seem long - I laughed when I saw the 12" straps I have - but trust me - this is the most comfortable fin straps I have ever used...

Dane

It would take me 3 times the agravation to build those straps myself AND It was rather entertaining to watch _somone_else_ attach them to my Jets :mean:. And now that I've used them a few times I can say that I won't go back to a buckle type strap. They are easy-on, easy-off, and very very comfy. And Dane is right... no more foot cramps. I don't know if I have the 10" or 12", but they will work with my booties AND drysuit boots. Get 'em!

-kate

I currently use the Mares Plana AvantiX3, but hope to purchase the Apollo Bios someday. Does the spring strap work on either of these?

BLT,
you may be outta luck there - The older paddle fins have heel straps connected through a solid rubber bulge with a hole through it - springstraps just replace that pin and go in the whole, most modern fins have some odd way or other of attaching the buckles to the fins - it is possible that you could modify the springs to fit that - but I have never seen it...

Dane

Another vote for sping straps...

I was wearing my Mares Quattros with the quick-release buckles oin a night dive Friday night (Nubble Light, Cape Neddick/York Beach Maine). As our buddy team (3 divers) approached one of the many lobster traps we passed that night underwater, I carefully pushed the trap line to the side as I swam by. After hovering for a moment, I noticed that my kicking was starting to feel constrained. I looked behind me to find that I was snagged on the trap line we had just passed -- the line was wrapped snugly around one of my fin buckles. Easy to clear, but it made it clear that these are real snag hazards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom