spring straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrMojo

Reaction score
Hi all
Last week in the pool another club member ask if they could try on my fins(quattros) as they were looking for a new pair .No probs except she reminded me wilst under water so i took mine off and she started to put them on, as she has small feet igave the strap a tug to tighten it for her ooops it rips right off iswear and think ok i will ajust the other side ,as i pull the other side rip ,now i have two pieces of rubber i my hands .This is the second time in less than a month.I am now seriously considering spring straps and fancy having a go making them my self.
I have searched the board and read a few posts on how to do this but one area i could make out is were you attach the nylon line to and how long it should be .
I emailed Mc master about the springs and delivery cost but they were unsure about costs,so is there anyone in the uk or europe who have sourced these locally.

Regards,

MAL..

The cost was about $18 shipped for the pack of 3 (they sell them in packs of 3 only), but that was in the US. I'd imagine it'll be a little bit more to ship them to London, but shouldn't be too much more. I heard people say that they run a length of cave line within the spring to prevent it from over-extending. I didn't put the string in mine when I made them, but so far (>20 dives) haven't had any problems. The strap stays where you put it and feels very secure, and I didn't have any problems with it overextending. It might still be a good idea to use the line, but so far I've been getting along fine without it.

-Roman.

I see that lp has stainless springs from Manta for $40.00 do you know anything about them. I plan on getting a pair of quatro's soon and was wondering what is the best way to go for spring straps.
BOB

All depends on how much you want to spend and whether you have time or desire to make them yourself. I've come across a few companies that make spring straps for Mares fins, but I have never actually seen or used any of them, so I can't help you there. But $$-wise, you're basically looking at spending ~$50 (don't forget shipping :) ) for a set of pre-made or $25ish & some of your time for the DIY version. Half the price, plus I felt it would be more fun to actually make them myself (it was).

-Roman.

Thanks Roman ,
The manta straps from US cost $50 +$24 shipping which is the same price i pay over here for them £50 .So i was hoping to save money and make them myself.But finding the springs is the problem if i ship over from US again high shipping , i was toying with the idea of making a couple of sets and chucking them on ebay to help recoup the cost.I have searched for a Uk supplier via the internet but all the companies seem to be "preccession and custom made " which spells big bucks and there seems to be none which offer stock product, i quess i will have to phone a few and see if they can suprise me.

Regards,

MAL..

Here's a web page that I wrote on how to make your own. It should answer any questions on construction. SS is not the best material out of which to make springs. It can be overstretched very easily, hence the need to run the line inside the springs to limit the stretch.

Dave D (one who has overstretched 3 springs while being very, very careful)
;-0

http://www.deeperstuff.com/spring-strap.htm

dmdalton once bubbled...
Here's a web page that I wrote on how to make your own. It should answer any questions on construction. SS is not the best material out of which to make springs. It can be overstretched very easily, hence the need to run the line inside the springs to limit the stretch.

Dave D (one who has overstretched 3 springs while being very, very careful)
;-0

http://www.deeperstuff.com/spring-strap.htm
Great write up David, I was just looking at that site yesterday in preparation of making springs for the new Jet fins. My quattros have springs on them already and its one of the BEST things I've done. EASY to don and doff and the feel very secure underwater.

just another data point....

my TUSA expert zooms, and love them, went on without to much trouble and seem to stay on well. They just replace the clips with stainless steel ones with the springs on them ready to go. much easier than putting them on my SP jet fins.....

bedazzle410 once bubbled...
I see that lp has stainless springs from Manta for $40.00 do you know anything about them. I plan on getting a pair of quatro's soon and was wondering what is the best way to go for spring straps.
BOB

Back
Top Bottom