spring straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zahgurim

Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking about upgrading to springs on my Mares Volo Powers...

What's the point/difference between springs with/without the plastic quick release?

Don't the plastic buckles defeat the whole purpose? --> springs stretching to get on/off, and the buckles adding a failure point?

Or am I missing the point, and they have rigid (not-stretchy) cable instead ot springy material?

I thought the purpose was two fold.
To reduce the possibility of entanglement when doing cave & wreck penetration. ie the remainder of the strap not getting caught on the line

Springs are less likely to fail than straps through wear n tear iebuckels & straps failing.
Since then they have modified the spring straps by adding a loop to make it easier to pull off. To me this is defeating the purpose of the springs. You have now introduced another point where the line can get entangled.

I have dived with springs for several years, never had a problem taking them off & I dont intend to buy a new pair that have quick releases.
If you buy the correct size springs they are not that hard to take off.

My advice just for springs but without the quick release or the pull off hoop.

Yeah, I planned on getting a full stainless setup without the plastic QR buckles.
I understand the benifits of springs vs stock plastic/silicone straps...

I'm just curious about why there are spring models with the plastic quick release buckles, if the spring is stretchy anyway and the buckles aren't needed? Seems silly to me, just adding a failure point...
Wondering if they serve a purpose i don't know about?

It's easier to install them. The permanently attached ones can require some surgery done to the fins, and some tools. The quick release ones just snap on. For people whose main reason for going to springs is just the comfort and ease of not having to adjust straps, it makes sense. For tech divers who are interested in the non-breakable part of springs (which are not unbreakable, because I've been on a dive with someone whose spring strap broke at 100 feet) the quick release doesn't make sense.

I do like having a tab or something to grab on the straps to make it easier to take them off (this is more important if you're operating at the far end of the stretch available) but XS Scuba's straps have a nice little soft fabric tab instead of the big rubber loop, and I think it looks like less of an entanglement issue to me. I don't own them, because I bought mine before I saw them, but they look good.

You're not missing anything. It's a failure point, which sucks even for recreation divers if they experience it. As the lady said, it's a simple install, but it's not that hard to put a set on for real & be done with it.

Thinking about upgrading to springs on my Mares Volo Powers...

What's the point/difference between springs with/without the plastic quick release?

Don't the plastic buckles defeat the whole purpose? --> springs stretching to get on/off, and the buckles adding a failure point?

Or am I missing the point, and they have rigid (not-stretchy) cable instead ot springy material?

You're absolutely right. I recently put on XS Scuba spring straps on my Atomics because they are all metal and no buckles. The Atomics spring straps still have plastic buckles, which IMHO defeats the purpose.

I recently upgraded to spring straps, and i like thema lot better, so then i dont have to adjust my straps and mess with the quick release. They are also alot easier(IMO) to put on and take off.

Which brand and model of spring straps did you buy? Did you have to modify the spring strap or the post on your Mares Volo Power fins? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom