Spyderco H-1 folding knives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDelage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What's the consensus on the Spyderco folding knives made out of H-1 steel? I know and like Spyderco generally, I'm just not sure a folding knife is easily deployed uw.

Well, H1 tends to hold up really well from what I've heard (including a good buddy that owned and dove one). However, the folding knife is easy to lose and hard to deploy and stow. IMHO, get a trilobite. MUCH cheaper, dive-specific, harder to lose, easier to deploy, and typically safer.

A group of four of us tried folding knives underwater, and especially towards the end of a longer dive (40 minutes) or after a couple dives, your fingers would be so soft it was all too easy to destroy your hands trying to deploy one.

I use one whilst climbing as a emergency knife for entanglements, and it clips to my harness nicely, but even with dry hands opening it can be difficult when you have cold hands so I would second Victor that it may be difficult to deploy underwater. - P

Spyderco Jumpmaster.

Spyderco Jumpmaster.

Agreed.

SP-FB24SBK.jpg

I carry an Atlantic Salt everyday. While it's a great knife and I love it, I would carry something else for diving. Mainly because I wouldn't want to lose it and second because I don't want to have to worry about fumbling trying to open a folding knife, especially if I only can use one hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... While it's a great knife and I love it, I would carry something else for diving. Mainly because I wouldn't want to lose it and second because I don't want to have to worry about fumbling trying to open a folding knife, especially if I only can use one hand...[/URL]

Commercial divers have used folding knives as a backup for years. It is easy to avoid losing it. It only takes a little practice to open it single-handed because of the large finger hole.

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Commercial divers have used folding knives as a backup for years. It is easy to avoid losing it. It only takes a little practice to open it single-handed because of the large finger hole.

No doubt about that, not saying it's not possible, just not for me. That said, it's a great knife and I would feel naked without my knife at work (I work on a tugboat)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom