Squashing the Rumors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was told a very long time ago that they crucified the last "perfect person". I haven't read about any replacement for him yet.
My life philosophy:
I’ve often said that if God didn’t give us more than we could handle, we wouldn’t need God - in other words, we would be relying on self will alone. I’ve never seen a case where that’s been successful. God’s hand and amazing grace is in everything I do and I’m grateful He is there to catch me when I fall and there to give me strength and courage to pursue without exception! Be blessed and hand your struggles and your victories over to God (or a Higher Power to your understanding) - I promise it’s worth it and it works!

Wow. Talk about being open and honest. I would NEVER share with the entire world that I was an alcoholic and drug addict if I was one.

Also not necessary to make your point which is that the rumors are untrue and typical internet lore. That's really all you had to say, and maybe add that there's some confusion because you'll be traveling out of the area for a while and give the reason as you did.

Nothing to be gained by adding your personal history with drugs and alcohol, and it can reflect rather negatively on you especially by the more conservative members of the planetary population. And you never know you might be looking for a new job someday and that sort of info can hurt.

I suggest you request a thread deletion and let this dog lie. People have short memories especially if there's nothing out there to remind them.

Addiction isn't a choice or failing of character, it's a disease described in the dsm5. It's actually covered under the Americans with disabilities act and it's illegal to fire or not hire someone because of it.

Thank you for posting Christi, its inspirational to hear your story and to see someone so honest and willing to better themselves and do whatever it takes to stay sober and be so freely willing to carry the message to others in a similar situation. Best of luck and it sounds like you're well prepared for the winter.

It's not about shame. And as long as it doesn't matter to you that some people probably will be put off by your revelation and won't have any significant affect on you going forward.

If I was in your position I probably wouldn't give it a second thought either -if I was retired- because should I admit to having some sort of drug or alcohol issue it would definitely affect my business. People are opinionated and they're going to judge and they'll say things like "Oh I wouldn't dive with that company it's run by a recovering drug addict" or words to that effect.

I am very close to someone who is a recovering alcoholic, she goes to the meetings almost every morning, I've gone to an Al-Anon meeting myself, so I get it. I'm not judging. But others will.
Why would anyone be put off by a someone like Christi talking honestly about their past struggles and how they have turned their life around and are going even further to help others with addiction issues moving forward?

I find it very inspirational. Your attitude/advice on it is off putting to me, to be honest...

Why would anyone be put off by a someone like Christi talking honestly about their past struggles and how they have turned their life around and are going even further to help others with addiction issues moving forward?

I find it very inspirational. Your attitude/advice on it is off putting to me, to be honest...
And even if they feel that way, what would motivate them to disparage her publicly? She has been through a rough patch and is not merely satisfied with pulling herself out of it; she now wants to help others do the same.

I was told a very long time ago that they crucified the last "perfect person". I haven't read about any replacement for him yet.

Umm, there was this other guy about 600 years later.....

Just another person to say thank you for opening up and sharing your story, Ms Christi. I appreciate your voice and your willingness to come to SB and offer diving and weather thoughts and advice so regularly. I have friends that have also beaten back the beast of addiction. As others have said, we need to get past the taboo of discussing it and allowing those that need it, to ask for help.

I'm not going to make some grand claim about using your company's services in some effort to drown out the nay-sayer. I don't know if I'll ever make it to Coz. But, I would have zero issues with your and XT-Sea's track record and reputation. You've lead a team to build a good'un.

próspero año y felicidad!!

Since you've chosen to focus on a tiny piece of my original post and make this about my malady.

I wasn't making it about your malady or your disease or whatever you want to call it. I was making it about the possible repercussions of telling the entire world about them.

I wouldn't really want to do business with anyone that was that judgmental anyway - so no loss at all.

Oh, well thanks for clarifying that. I find it rather surprising that you're totally good with losing paying customers who might have second thoughts about diving with you. To me, money's money, it pays the bills and it pays the rent, and it pays to fix the boat and put gas in it and I'd think most Dive Ops don't care if the money came out of the wallet of a judgmental or nonjudgmental diver. You can afford to be selective- and hey that's great. On another thread, which I started, many members are going on about how most dive Ops can barely get by with whatever business they currently get.

And then there are those clients who were incredibly toxic, like cancer, but I couldn't see it (water seeks it's own level) until I got into recovery, so I let THEM go - as in I fired them as clients because they were so toxic and nasty which made room for new healthy clients. With that said, I've gained some amazing new clients and I am pretty sure I will continue to do so.

Please elaborate or correct me if I'm wrong. You are saying that you've had divers on your boat who were toxic and you stopped doing business with them? How can scuba diving customers be toxic? I mean I get that some are nasty, or rude, or unreasonable but "toxic"? Every business has bad customers.

I'm sorry you haven't had the blessing of witnessing the miracles of true recovery.

Yeah, no.. I don't drink much at all, never had a drug, gambling or sex addiction problem so I've got nothing to recover from so I guess I won't have that blessing, but as far as miracles go, I'm not a believer of the bearded dude in the sky anyway.

But as you say, you've been to AN (meaning a single) Al-Anon meeting, so yeh, you get it - ok, gotcha.

I get it because someone very close to me is in AA and it's become a huge part of her life. The one Al-Anon meeting I went to caused me to realize that Al-Anon is more for people being abused by, or having to cope with untreated alcoholics which is not the case with me.

I wasn't making it about your malady or your disease or whatever you want to call it. I was making it about the possible repercussions of telling the entire world about them.
And your point is... what?

Back
Top Bottom