Sri Lanka Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Btw, we have been having some crazy weather the last 3 weeks. rain almost everyday. Hopefully it will abate soon. Its been the worst start to the west coast dive season that I have known. On the plus side the fish life seems to be good, but viz has been low. Lets hope for sunshine soon. The tropics are not right without it!

And some say climate change is a myth.........

Btw, we have been having some crazy weather the last 3 weeks. rain almost everyday. Hopefully it will abate soon. Its been the worst start to the west coast dive season that I have known. On the plus side the fish life seems to be good, but viz has been low. Lets hope for sunshine soon. The tropics are not right without it!

Unfortunately I can confirm this. Just got back from Sri Lanka last sunday, and it rained every day during our 16 days stay. However, I was able to do about eight dives out of Unawatuna (w/ Sea Horse Diving); had been hoping for more, but at least those were fine - especially the night dive & the Tango and the Rangoon wreck!

After another week spent inlands, I wanted to stop by Colombo Divers before leaving during the last two days in Negombo. However, constant rainfall rendered the idea useless.

Sorry to hear that. Its really been crazy to the point of being ridiculous. Have a lot of sympathy with any tourist who is here right now. This is the worst December that I have seen in my life and 15 yrs of diving. A friend of mine in the Maldives said they have had bad weather as well. Colombo Divers has not put a boat out since last Saturday. Had a few days with good conditions (20m+) viz despite rain but then some days its so rough you cant launch the boat. Its raining outside as I write this!

How was the Rangoon? I havent dived it for nearly 3 years.

Hope you managed to take away some positives and good memories from you trip!

Cheers,

Nishan

Wow, so it didn't even stop raining? I really hope you'll still get some fine days this year!

Anyhow, we really enjoyed our stay in Sri Lanka, the beach as well as all other places we visited. Those two days in the hill country and hiking out of Ella were wonderful, so was Kandy and its surroundings, just to name two sights. And, of course, riding the train up to 2.000 meters and above, through a stunning landscape!

I visited the Rangoon and Tango wrecks with two dives each; hard to tell which one I liked better. I guess the Rangoon gives a better overall experience, while the Tango offers a huge propeller and anchor. Both are definetely worth some visits.

Guess I'll be following your blog for updates on Sri Lanka diving. Hope the months ahead will suit your business better!

Best, max

Glad you had a good time despite the weather. I really like Ella as its got a nice laid back vibe and some great hiking.

The rain has finally stopped and we have had a week of brilliant blue skies and bright sunshine. Chilly mornings, hot days and cool evenings just like December should be. Just got back from the south coast. AND..........I have been out diving again :)

Cheers,

Nishan

Hi there!

We are travelling with my girlfriend to Sri Lanka after Christmas for two weeks and I'm trying understands where should we go diving? And do you want to recommend some dive operator over there? I would very much appreciate any assistance you can offer and tips for other nature attractions in Sri Lanka.

Diving will have to be on west and south coast. I will send you a PM with more details. Non diving attractions are varied so if you let me know your interests I could give you some ideas.

Nishan

Hi there!

We are travelling with my girlfriend to Sri Lanka after Christmas for two weeks and I'm trying understands where should we go diving? And do you want to recommend some dive operator over there? I would very much appreciate any assistance you can offer and tips for other nature attractions in Sri Lanka.

@SantaClaus

For diving Colombo waters are the best kept secret around the Island. Sure Hikkaduwa and Unnawatuna has some lovely beaches but considering the dive experience, it doesn't stand a chance in comparison with Colombo.
The South side waters were prone to illegal dynamite fishing over the years, which has destroyed most of the reefs. So aquatic life is still replenishing itself.

Negombo has some good reefs but not many wrecks.

West waters are still untouched and wrecks are plentiful. Most of the wrecks are over 18m so your AOW is a must have for diving.

I will PM you further information on dive centres in Colombo which will be able to assist you.
I will also PM you a link which will provide information on dive sites which is run by an passionate diver. Information from this link will give you an idea as to the sites you can visit during your stay.

Regards,
Matt

Hi,

Lonely Planet talks about these dive sites.

BEST DIVE SPOTS

Great Basses Reefs Several kilometres off the southeast coast, these remote reefs are ranked by divers as about the best in the country. Eagle rays and
white- tip sharks are the big fish to see here. And just in case you’re interested, treasure from sunken ships has been found here too... But take note – it’s for experts only.

Bar Reef These offshore reefs in the northwest of the country offer pristine reef systems, masses of fish and dolphins and whales to boot, but again it’s experienced divers only.

Pigeon Island Accessible for beginners but still rewarding for experts, the beautiful, colour-splashed reefs off this pinprick of an island put a smile on everyone’s
face. Around 300 species of fish and other marine life has been seen in the waters around here. Also a great snorkelling spot.

Unawatuna It’s all about wreck diving here – one boat was even sunk exclusively for the purpose of improving the diving. Several dive schools, lots of facilities and good for all levels of experience.

Batticaloa Calm waters and exploring the wreck of HMS Hermes, a WWII British naval ship.

BEST DIVE BEACH

Diving & snorkelling Pigeon Island off Nilaveli beach offers crystal waters, shallow reefs, colourful fish, and diving and snorkelling that’s great for a beginner or the experienced.

SriLanka_Dive_Spots.jpg

Poseidon Diving Station Sri Lanka was mentioned in Lonely Planet http://www.divingsrilanka.com
Matt, all the information about diving in Sri Lanka is more than welcome so thanks :) Are you living in Sri Lanka currently?

Last edited:
Hi Santa,

That's correct, I do reside in Sri Lanka. :)

I would recommend, you visit Dive Sri Lanka! - Find out everything about SCUBA diving ship wrecks and coral reefs in paradise!. The site is run by an independent, enthusiastic diver who has taken the time to discover and record the dive sites which covers pretty much everything our tiny Island has to offer scuba wise. :cheers:

Dive centres are bountiful in Sri Lanka, as the sport is picking up a lot. I do recommend you invest a bit of time looking at the site I mentioned to check what you would like to do whilst here. Then its a bit of research on the centres around the area, which of course is readily available on Google or you can reach through PM :)

Pigeon Island, is a lovely place a must visit actually. Trust me when I say, a snorkel kit is all you need for the North Eastern waters. Shallow and clear, crystal clear waters with a variety of aquatic life (only for the reef diving).
Unfortunately due to the monsoon seasons, the rains are going to start picking up in the North whereas the Southern part should have scattered showers but not enough to effect diving in the West and South. Again the site I mentioned should have all this information consolidated for you and just a click away.

If you could spare a day or two within Colombo for diving, mate you are in for a treat :)

Regards,
Matt

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom