Ss or ti ------ knife

SS OR TI KNIFE

• COMPARE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaworm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This is just a poll

1. Which would you choose ss or ti
2. Why choose that one
3. Compare both
4. Which is better for prying and cutting!

Last edited:
This sounds like fun. You guys go ahead while I make some popcorn:):popcorn:

Or neither?

Cut off steak knife works for me. I don't feel at all guilty if I lose one, two, or three. Plus the fancy ti knife I have doesn't cut rope nearly as well as a steak knife. I have shears for pretty much everything else. If you need to cut a stainless leader you better be carrying a pair of shears.

Cut off steak knife works for me. I don't feel at all guilty if I lose one, two, or three. Plus the fancy ti knife I have doesn't cut rope nearly as well as a steak knife. I have shears for pretty much everything else. If you need to cut a stainless leader you better be carrying a pair of shears.

I don't think that will work well at all to serve the intended purpose. If you want a knife for prying things, I would defintitely choose a SS dive knife over a Ti, which will more easily snap. A cut off (snapped off) steak knife is NOT a good pry bar.

A steak knife? No way, my wife would kill me if she found out I broke. One of her knives to take diving.:D

To the OP, what do you need to pry in Michigan anyhow? Most folks I know that take scallops use a really big knife or the safer alternative an abalone iron. Are you planning on taking artifacts from shipwrecks?

I don't think that will work well at all to serve the intended purpose. If you want a knife for prying things, I would defintitely choose a SS dive knife over a Ti, which will more easily snap. A cut off (snapped off) steak knife is NOT a good pry bar.
So what is your expert opinion of a good knife then? Stainless, but what model or brand? Everyone has their favorite, I happen to like the cheapest.

A steak knife? No way, my wife would kill me if she found out I broke. One of her knives to take diving.
04.gif
Why would your wife care if you went to Walmart and bought six knives for under ten bucks, then cut them off with a die grinder? No one said it had to be from your wife's collection.

In 20 years of (wreck) diving, I've never had to pry anything with my knife. I carry knives as an entanglement contingency only. As such, the greatest attribute they can have is that they won't deteriorate with constant salt-water immersion. That makes Ti knives the obvious choice - they don't rust and the blade won't dull over time - they're sharp and ready whenever I might need them.

If I'm going to pry anything, I carry a dedicated tool for the task, such as a fireman-type crow bar:

10052403-7b.jpg

It'll do the job better and won't screw-up the tool you carry for other emergencies.

Were the poll choices really intended to be:

A) SS or TI knife
B) Compare​

?

Okay, I'll vote yes. A and B. You should compare, and then buy either a stainless steel knife or a titanium knife. If you insist on a knife.

I am not so careless or budget constrained that I'd opt for a cheap broken steak knife. I have never lost a knife. I have rusted some knives though (so I am at least a little careless), so if a knife was the only choice I might opt for titanium. I usually opt for shears though. They take a lot of neglect before they rust, they are light, they can be deployed with one hand, and, since I've never used a knife or shears underwater, it's nice to have something with more utility on the boat, as well.

A "broken" steak knife or serrated vegetable-knife are some of the best knives around for diving purposes, as they are usually a lot sharper than the so-called "divers-knives", and cost almost nothing to replace.

If you need a knife to use as a crow-bar, then get a crow-bar.

If you need a knife for stabbing fish, choose a cheap stainless steel one.

I have not yet seen a "divers-knife" that has been worth the money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom