Ss. Tank bands and ss. Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seraphimx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My family has a misc. steel company. We fabricate ladders, staircases etc...

I have been looking around for SS Tank Bands for some old 72s and the only low priced ones I can find are in the States.

Looking at some manufacturers that clearly welded and handcrafted these I thought why don't I make those at work and save some $.

I've made some CAD drawings is there anyone who would like to host it.
I could make more on demand and add them to a collection.

Can you find something wrong with my design? Instead of being in one piece its in two pieces and then welded together. The center part will be 1/4" (thicker than most manufacturers)

I also wanted to check and make this H backplate
H-Plate

To have one Dual Tank Rig and one Single Tank Rig instead of disassembling one and the other.

If your able to make the H-plate I'd be interested in buying one from you if the price is reasonable.

I'm currently working on the CAD drawings right now, I'm modifying the H Plate design to be more like my Apeks one (that I sold)

3 holes on top and a slotted hole underneath so it can accept more types of wings or STA (if someone still wants to use one)

I'm trying to get the holes on the side for the Back Pad right but I think they change from brand to brand, no?

Looks good the 3 holes with the slot is a good idea. I had an idea you may want to try since it sounds like you have the shop and resources, if you take a look at the Halcyon quick cinch you'll notice how the only functional bit is basically some 1/4" half round, if you were able to weld a smooth U shape of steel between the two lower holes on each side you would in essence have a quick cinch. throw some weight slides on if you don't want to use it. if all of that made no sense i can throw together a drawing.

Still trying to understand how it works

can you make a quick sketch

thanks

BTW Updated the sketch to have more holes for pony bottles and small things.

Basic sketch of what the plate would look like. the only change to your plate is the slots for the webbing on the bottom would need to be a little more vertical, and a little farther apart, more like an OMS Or Halcyon Plate. but the addition of the halfround would let the webbing slide free when no pressure was on them vertically, so when sitting or in the water. you would put weight slides on the shoulder straps so it would always tighten to the same preset each time. bacplate-design.gif

A very excellent idea Mr mike1010

I think if you were to do it the way i describe that it would eliminate the flimsy plastic that the Halcyon kit uses and stay closer to the dir Philosophy if that's your thing.Now all we need is someone like DSS to make up a couple to test. and of course testers Hint hint :D

Back
Top Bottom