SS Thorfinn Truk Lagoon trip report........abbreviated due to my short attention span

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baystr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We arrived in Chuuk after a long two days of flying completely exhausted.....we were promplty greeted at the airport by the Thorfinn staff, who were friendly and helpful. They took our luggage and shuttled us across "town" to the tenders that were waiting. The area is quite rough and filthy, but I have scene worse. The tenders took us to the waiting Thorfinn. We waited and wandered for no reason with no orientation to the ship, then finally, they served dinner, and afterwards.......the arrogant self indulged captain bored us for two hours of his version of WW2, still without any orientation to the ship, or the schedule and diving arrangements. Finally we got out for a nite dive, 7 hours after our arrival, most were too exhausted, but four of us made it.

Got back to our room, and we had no A/C, and my computer had our room at 90 degrees all of the time we were there. No sleep in the cabin, had to sleep on the outer deck or in the main lounge. This was the case all week, only two of our group of sixteen had cool enough rooms to sleep.

First full day of dives, we were ill prepared due to lack of briefing and oreintation.....people did not get the gear they wanted(sling bottles with 50%) after the first day, all requests were handled properly by the dive operation.

In short, the captain is an ass, the boat is a piece of crap.........but the staff and crew were great, food was good, homemade and plentiful, and the diving was epic.

They offer little flexibility in dive sites, we had some lessor experienced divers who would of enjoyed a less challenging set of dives than 150fsw ship penetrations every morning. I, however, enjoyed the dives very much.........

my advice..........try the Truk Oddysey!

I would have to agree...too many nights were spent outside trying to get some sleep.

The crew, food and diving was great...

The boat needs an overhaul with an upgrade to the AC system. It also needs to replace the owner/captain..

Wasn't it the Thorfinn which had run aground and was out of commission for a while?

yup, heard something about that

Have been on Thorfinn twice and never encountered any problem.
As for the Captain, you either like him or.......

The Thorfinn was overhauled about three years ago after running aground in Pohnpei. Funny AC as well what the OP experienced has been a complaint on that ship for years.

Wow, I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same..
We went on the Thorfinn 8 years ago and much of your report reads like it was our trip. The A/C was basically non functional , the food was barely edible and the skiff rides weren't that convenient.
Capt. Lance can be grating, but his knowledge of the wrecks is encyclopedic. He can tell you almost the exact minute nearly every wreck went down and how they've changed over the years. But he runs that ship like its his kingdom and he lets everyone else know it.
But the diving is incomparable .
I think we'll try the Odyssey next though.

First full day of dives, we were ill prepared due to lack of briefing and oreintation.....people did not get the gear they wanted(sling bottles with 50%) after the first day, all requests were handled properly by the dive operation.

In short, the captain is an ass, the boat is a piece of crap.........but the staff and crew were great, food was good, homemade and plentiful, and the diving was epic.

They offer little flexibility in dive sites, we had some lessor experienced divers who would of enjoyed a less challenging set of dives than 150fsw ship penetrations every morning. I, however, enjoyed the dives very much.........

my advice..........try the Truk Oddysey!
I kind of put the Thorfinn experience out of my mind after returning to the cornfields (see my recent report on the Pan-Micronesia cruise), but I would definitely agree with you. You must have gotten on the ship shortly after I left (July 5). Consider yourself lucky that you used the Thorfinn only as a floating hotel, just try to imagine what the cabins were like with the steam plant going full power...

Thorfinn has many safety issues. The main problem arising from the fact Captain Lance was never a pro diver so he has his own ideas and concepts on what diving should be, that is cowboy diving. Agree his dive briefing will be lImited to saying you can solo dive and that the conditions are extremely easy, fair enough but keep in mind so the of the dives are on the 45-65 meter range.

When asked if the equipment is O2 cleaned since he uses partial pressure for blending he will proudly reply it is not as he does not believe in that. So the boat is a bomb waiting to explode considering how greasy everything is on it.

The boat simply does not move, at some stage the captain told us he had no money to buy diesel for it.

The dive guides just know their way through the wrecks but obviously have no rescue training and their briefings are non existing. Our guide forgot his fins and actually guided us to 45 metres without them!

Check the dates on the tanks, seems they have not been tested since their manufacturing date, in some cases 10 years ago. Scary.

There are far more issues, but these ones should be enough to consider diving with other dive operators in Chuuk who seem to be far more professional.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom