SS Thorfinn Truk Lagoon - Unsafe Practices, Problematic Captain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based on assorted reports I've read over the years, I'd never dream of taking a trip on this particular boat, but I'll admit it is weird how it manages to stay in business for years....decades!
Dived with them twice and no problem. My buddy had dived with them 5 times!

Dived with them twice and no problem. My buddy had dived with them 5 times!

Given the $ cost and travel distance/difficulty involved, I won't gamble that kind of vacation time / $ on a trip operator with a controversial history, I prefer something I can pretty much count on, however, I'm not 'against' Thorfinn, more operators means more competition and less risk of monopoly pricing. While I enjoy military history, and have dove some shipwrecks (coast of North Carolina, for example) as a recreational diver, I'm not hardcore enough to cough up that kind of $ to go to Truk, moreover I suspect the wrecks are past their prime and in an advanced state of rusty, silty collapse these days.

It could be that ones personal perspective differs from the next. It is obvious that the OP's is extremely different from the operator's. My perspective based on what I have read here and other reviews is to pass on this liveaboard...but if the right opportunity rose I am open to first handily forming my on opinion. :wink:

Given the $ cost and travel distance/difficulty involved, I won't gamble that kind of vacation time / $ on a trip operator with a controversial history, I prefer something I can pretty much count on, however, I'm not 'against' Thorfinn, more operators means more competition and less risk of monopoly pricing. While I enjoy military history, and have dove some shipwrecks (coast of North Carolina, for example) as a recreational diver, I'm not hardcore enough to cough up that kind of $ to go to Truk, moreover I suspect the wrecks are past their prime and in an advanced state of rusty, silty collapse these days.
In a commercial world lousy business practice normally does not survive long and let alone 10-20yrs.
I am not saying Capt Hick/Thorfinn is flawless but I just did not have any problem diving from it. Perhaps my standard is pretty low.
As for the Odyssey, very arrogant response on my first enquiry. Perhaps others have better experience than I but they will never get my business.

In a commercial world lousy business practice normally does not survive long and let alone 10-20yrs.
I am not saying Capt Hick/Thorfinn is flawless but I just did not have any problem diving from it. Perhaps my standard is pretty low.
As for the Odyssey, very arrogant response on my first enquiry. Perhaps others have better experience than I but they will never get my business.
What was arrogant to your reply...just curious?

We have had a lot of our residents from Kwaj dive with the Odessey. They even donated a week's dive trip to our MIA Project's recent fund raiser...$3200.

Having dived Truk Lagoon wrecks 3 times now I would suggest the wrecks are NOT past their prime and this is a prime dive site for wreck diving. Out of the possible 38 divable wrecks I have dived 26 of them now and will go back again. No where else in the world do you have the conditions and number of good divable wrecks in easy reach.

I always use Blue Lagoon and although this means a daily trip from land I am happy to do so. They run a good dive resort given the location and I have no issues with diving with them. The last time I spent 2 weeks there and I will return again soon.

Even without having gone there, I know these aren't just "wrecks". Their historical significance makes them unique. The first thing to think about is how bad is the boat that takes you for your medical problem? I'm finding it hard to believe that it would be the one thing in pristine condition. That alone would be a major source of concern.

I have not overly informed myself as to how this operation works but one thing I noticed is that you mentioned them claiming that they had had no accidents,was that in regards to dive accidents or in reference to perhaps operating accidents? I only mentioned this because if a diver gets bent or lost in a wreck I hardly see this as the dive ops fault and if I were the op I probably would claim that I had no accidents either as long as I had not had anyone get hurt on my ship "trip and fall,cut by sharp edge of something I should have fixed, some injury caused by something that was not secured" as far as the stripper gf. Good for him. May he die a very tired and wore out man. For what it is worth I know a heart surgeon that stripped her way through med school. I have no shame i was born nude and if someone wants to pay to see my birthday suit I'll take the cash.. not that anyone wants to see that lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

It can be argued that if a diver gets bent or lost it is his own fault.

However, while we are responsible for own behaviour, we are also entitled to expect competent backup - meaning proper boats, reasonably equipped first aid facilities and a response plan in case that happens. The Thorfinn failed in these areas.

Have a look at this video:

https://vimeo.com/35485650

Contrary to Lance Higg's claim in the video I posted of him claiming / lying that he had no serious incidents for 32 years, he himself now says (at 2:05) that he lost a diver on the Hoyo Maru.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom