SSI Class - Failed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jstein86

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All,
I am hoping someone can shed some light on my situation. I recently took the SSI open water dive class with the hopes of being certified at the end. Everything was going great, the class had 7 people and we were meeting every Sunday at 9am. On the very last class at the end, the instructor told the entire class that we weren't ready for the quarry/cert and should re-take the class. We were all quite shocked, he didn't really provide any indication that we weren't doing well or missing something. Is the class that challenging to pass?

(Unfortunately I have a theory, but this is pure speculation. Almost the entire class (except 1 person) registered via groupon and paid half of the regular price. Also the majority of the students purchased their gear online rather then through his shop. I would speculate that he didn't make enough money on the class.)

What should I do?

-Sad diver

I am not sure about SSI but with NAUI and SDI, we go over the test with you and explain what you missed and why. It should not be secret what your score is and the threshold is for a pass... Sounds like you need to start by going over the exam with the instructor, and retest if needed..

We all passed the written test, the two people that failed the first time retook it the next class. (we had one make up class as the pool was closed one of the days) He just felt based on the pool work we werent ready for the quarry. I'll be honest I am still in shock that not a single person was ready.

Hello All,
I am hoping someone can shed some light on my situation. I recently took the SSI open water dive class with the hopes of being certified at the end. Everything was going great, the class had 7 people and we were meeting every Sunday at 9am. On the very last class at the end, the instructor told the entire class that we weren't ready for the quarry/cert and should re-take the class. We were all quite shocked, he didn't really provide any indication that we weren't doing well or missing something. Is the class that challenging to pass?

There are a couple of things here:

If a student is actually not ready for the open water dives, the instructor has a responsibility to not take them into open water until they're ready. This is actually a "good thing." This is actually quite common and more pool time is always nice.

However . . .

The entire class not being ready is an indication that the instructor did a poor job or teaching, or is covering up something, or is attempting to get everybody to pay twice.

There is nothing wrong with needing more class or pool time, however you should not be charged for it.

Tell the instructor that since the entire class was not ready for open water, that he has not held up his side of the agreement, and you want a refund, then go somewhere else. If he refuses, contact your credit card company and get a refund.

flots.

Humm, does sound strange. Usually if you are not doing well in the pool, you know it before the instructor pulls you aside to talk about some additional pool work. It is up to the instructors discretion as to the sign off on confined water work, but I have not seen where an entire group had to remediate skills. Did he brief you on what you needed to work on?

Humm, does sound strange. Usually if you are not doing well in the pool, you know it before the instructor pulls you aside to talk about some additional pool work. It is up to the instructors discretion as to the sign off on confined water work, but I have not seen where an entire group had remediate skills. Did he brief you on what you needed to work on?

I am not sure about others but he never pulled me aside and in the water he was always giving us the "A-okay" symbol and rarely correcting us. Also if he pulled us aside and mentioned we needed more pool work we would have probably agreed. In addition many people had pre-planned vacations and some were doing it because their spouse was already certified. (I am thinking to retake the entire course is a bit much.)

I assume you meant you would have to pay additional money for taking the course over again.

This is very out of keeping with normal OW class instruction. Normally, a student contracts to complete the class for a certain amount of money. If a student has not completed the requirements in the scheduled time, then the student continues until the requirements are completed. There is usually no additional charge, unless something to that effect was explained as standard policy before the class starts. Some programs do have a standard additional fee if students require some additional time beyond a certain reasonable amount, but I have never heard of an entire course having to be retaken.

I would contact SSI. This may well be a violation of their policies. (I am not SSI, so I can't say that for sure. I am positive it would be a violation if this were PADI.)

So how much did you pay for the class?
How many days was it?

I realize it was the shop/instructor that set up the groupon, thus he deserves what he gets, but did the guy even make minimum wage from you'all?
Seems you pretty much got what you paid for, maybe ask the online merchants where you bought the gear what their classses run...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom