SSI Class - Failed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the student didnt learn the teacher didnt teach. There are exceptions but not with a whole class. An extra pool session, ok but retake and pay for the whole class? everyone? fat chance. If thats the case the shop and instructor should be made public here. Then they would have the option to defend their position if they cared too.

So how much did you pay for the class?

That doesn't matter. The instructor offered to teach the class for a price. It doesn't matter if it's a dollar or a thousand dollars. He's still obligated to do a proper job of it.

flots

To the OP......have you tried contacting Groupon to inform them he did not deliver what was promised?

.......but did the guy even make minimum wage from you'all?...

Who cares? He set the price. He went into this knowing......perhaps he went into this knowing he was going to fail the entire class. Nobody but he knows but no matter what, the buyer should be able to expect a certification unless they were just impossible.

.....Seems you pretty much got what you paid for...

Actually no they did not. They paid to get certified so they did in fact get screwed.

So how much did you pay for the class?
How many days was it?

I realize it was the shop/instructor that set up the groupon, thus he deserves what he gets, but did the guy even make minimum wage from you'all?
Seems you pretty much got what you paid for, maybe ask the online merchants where you bought the gear what their classses run...

So, if you purchased some goods at a 50% off sale and they failed to work when you got home, would you be pleased and think you got what you paid for?

I am guess you would think you were ripped off, which is precisely what the OP thinks.

I realize it was the shop/instructor that set up the groupon, thus he deserves what he gets, but did the guy even make minimum wage from you'all?
Seems you pretty much got what you paid for, maybe ask the online merchants where you bought the gear what their classses run...

I understand your point but that ship sailed when the LDS decided to market a Groupon. Don't blame the consumer for taking him up on his offer. BTW, I'm pretty sure that no groupon or open water class ever has the condition of "must by dive gear from us" on it.

I would agree with Flots Am, the OP needs to work it out the the instructor / shop. I know in our shop we don't charge for additional pool time, but that is based on that they can make it to one of the other scheduled pool sessions. If the instructor knew that they were in a time crunch he should have taken some corrective steps pretty early so that they could make it to the quarry on time. Not sure if we really need to know names... That just opens up another can of worms..

I did a google search for "SCUBA Groupon SSI" and the first two hits are all Northeast Scuba. Assuming this is them, the deal is:

For $299, you get an SSI open-water certification package (a $665 total value). An $80 equipment-rental fee, not included in today's Groupon, is required if customer has no equipment. The package includes the following:
  • Six hours of classroom instruction and 8–10 hours of pool instruction (a $300 value)
  • Course book, DVD, and logbook (a $115 value)
  • Four New England open-water dives (a $250 value)

I've never heard of an O/W deal cost $665. If the OP was on the hook to pay $299 + $80 for equipment rental then this doesn't seem like an awesome deal to me and the LDS was getting plenty of money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom