• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

SSI Class - Failed

Discussion in 'New Divers and Those Considering Diving' started by jstein86, Jun 18, 2012.

1. coreyallen

coreyallen Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24

I emailed Naui about all this and they stopped writing back after the first email they dont care.

2. jbomb001

jbomb001 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    what a can of worms that wich has bean opened here

3. weitodive

weitodive Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    What ever happened? Has the instructor finished your cert?

4. vwfinatic273

vwfinatic273 Angel Fish

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    I would email SSI and see what the organization says

5. vwfinatic273

vwfinatic273 Angel Fish

I would email SSI and see what the organization says. Sounds like you have a good guess quarters going on

ivakdiver likes this.
  6. divenut1

divenut1 Garibaldi

Several of the students from the class in question have participated in additional training and have been certified. These results speak for themselves.

As a show of good faith by the LDS owner/instructor, any of the remaining students from that class may take advantage of a free pool session with the Scuba Hut of MD instructor of their choice for additional training and evaluation for participation in open water certification. They may also have a disinterested third party to observe the session. This offer is available until 16 September2012. To participate, they need only check the website and contact the Scuba Hut of MD instructor of their choice.

As for taking advantage of Groupon customers, the "special offer" was advertised as valid until May 2012. The LDS continued to honor the "special offer"until July 2012. Of the 33 customers who participated in classes, 15 became certified without need for additional training. Several more required additional training and became certified. The balance have yet to decide on certification.

7. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Wow.....what a DB

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Who are you in relation to the shop in question? Owner? Instructor?

8. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Only 15 out of 33 class participants could pass the offered course? That's an aweful pass rate and does not speak for the training provided, imo!

DA Aquamaster likes this.
  9. Cixelsyd

Cixelsyd Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    That's what I was wondering about as well.

The LDS is coming out of this situation looking TERRIBLE in my opinion.

10. lv2dive

lv2dive Formerly known as KatePNAtl Staff Member

Others have said this but it is worth repeating... a 45% pass rate? Just because someone came in via Groupon, I wouldn't expect that meant subpar instruction... and in regular OW training, that sort of pass rate is representative of an issue with instruction, not an issue with the students. Is there something else we are missing?