SSI Divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am trying to do the research, hence the original question. So I guess the consensus is Divecon remains the entry level professional qualification with SSI?

Until I can get the whole story behind the new classifications, as I understand it these where created to fill a need for resorts that are crossing over to SSI. Dive Guide is just that, someone who has done little formal training with the agaency but leads groups on a regular basis. Divemaster is equal to the other agencies divemaster rating making it easier for resorts to cross over their current staff, and train new staff without going through the Divecon program. Divemaster's will not likely teach on any level, but will be working on a regular basis with "tourist" divers. IMHO the Divecon program is the best SSI course you can complete, and still allows you to teach some if you are interested or not at all if that is what you choose.

As an SSI dive con naturally I think the training is A++++ not to say other agencies are not. The down side to me is "shop affiliation requirement", which basically according to SSi standards restricts profit to the dive con and that vareys from shop to shop.
There are two new positions available in 2009. "Dive Guide" and "Dive Master" no insurance is required vat this level. I hope this post will answer some questions (IMHO)

It really depends on the dive shop with your instructor levels. Associate instructor is a title I seen given to someone going for his instructors. As for the rest of the levels, they aren't hard to achieve and require you to teach mostly.

The store affiliation thing is a little bit much for most people, as seen here BUT it is SSI's thing. TBH I have seen the traveling road show for some agencies and all that person cared about was money and get them through quickly. If their service was bad or poor equipment was recommended their was no way to truly hurt the person as he had moved on. By having an affiliation you, in theory, keep that instructor honest. No more crappy service because if they do give crappy service the shop is hurt and they will be out of a job. This is all in theory because this is an assumption of this being a perfect world.

The full details for the new levels will be ironed out and be out there for all to see soon, or so I am told. So stay tuned... more info to come.

I went through the DiveCon program and thought it was excellent. I personally think the SSI program is better than other agencies, as SSI really zeroes in on service to the STUDENT. It is of little use to crank out OW certificates if the people don't feel comfortable in the water....they'll soon give up the sport. This, in turn hurts the dive shop, the industry, and the sport itself. SSI does have the store sponsorship as a requirement, and I find that not restrictive, but a source of comfort, as the shop I work with/through is excellent on customer service, giving good advice, and being extremely professional. I've been very, very happy with the training and resources that SSI has developed.

Where is Watson to clear this all up?

As I'm reading the 2009 standards, this is my take on it.

Dive guides can only give underwater tours to certified divers, teach snorkeling only after they have passed the Snorkel Instructor module, and issue Snorkel Diver certifications (page 37 of the 2009 standards). They may NOT conduct skills update, assist SSI Instructors with academic, pool or open water training. May NOT take students in training on underwater tours, teach or issue OWD certifications, or act as a certified assistant.

The SSI Divemaster is NOT comparable to any other agencies Divemaster and really they should look into changing the name to avoid confusion. A quote from the 2009 standards, "The Divemaster rating is a recognition level. Therefore, Divemasters have the same rights and limitations as certified Dive Guides."

As far as insurance goes, until SSI comes out with something written (insert opinion) I am assuming that anyone qualified to lead groups on dives (i.e. be responsible for other divers in a professional capacity), teach and issue certifications on ANY type of training (snorkeling) would require insurance.

EDIT: Just found the part in the standards that mentions where Snorkeling Instructors must have insurance, but it doesn't mention anywhere else that if leading a group (underwater tours) you have to have it.

Last edited:
I'm working on divemaster with ssi right now. It is definitely different than divecon. Divemaster for ssi requires four specialty classes, 50 dives, cpr. and stress and rescue training plus certification dives for each of the separate courses. Dive-con is considered instructor in training, lasts for about a year, and at least with my shop is specially geared to each individual to work on their needs and accent their strengths. Dive-con with ssi is a level above divemaster and just below instructor.

oh, and the dive-cons can assist in underwater and owd teaching, just not to do the key training or testing of the students nor issue certifications for that matter. They have to be supervised by the instructors, but they act as the instructors right hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom