• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

SSI Ethics Question

Discussion in 'SSI: Scuba Schools International' started by kammel78, Jun 22, 2018.

1. kammel78

kammel78 Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Yeah, I get the innocent until proven guilty argument, but I assumed you'd be held in suspension pending the outcome or something like that. Remove them from SSI's website or something like that. Most companies err on the side of being overly cautious when criminal charges are involved.

2. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Hey, the OP's from Louisiana...they are not completely on board with that Innocent until Proven Guilty stuff.....Napoleonic Code, and all that. :)

OP, now that SSI has been notified, let's wait until they do something or nothing. THEN is the time to make your case. How can you expect them to do something without having been told there is a problem?

KWS likes this.
  3. KWS

KWS ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I wold say it is always a tough situation when things like this happen. You have to protect all sides of the incident till it is clear as to what has happened. The responsible use of that company standard should be a no brainer and should be followed. The problem comes when some one irresponsibly uses that complaint avenue on one shop or person to the the advantage of their shop or person or as a means to chase away competition. What ifs should happen on either side of the argument. Two accusations from one shop is totally different than 2 complaints form 2 unrelated sources and periods of time.

4. KWS

If it is non scuba related then no action till a conviction is obtained. innocent till proven guilty, wither ethically or legally.

Bob DBF likes this.
  5. Magnus Lundstedt

Magnus Lundstedt Divemaster

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    My opinion is that everyone deserves the benefit of doubt.

I say, if the alledged crime result in a conviction i court, then its time to take action, if any, but not before any conviction in court.

6. kammel78

kammel78 Nassau Grouper

Well, technically live in LA, not from LA, lol.

3 weeks, so I guess it's safe to say SSI is taking the wait and see approach.

It's interesting to me. If the crime were that the owner was arrested for was murder, would you still want to allow an accused murderer to be affiliated with SSI? What if they killed someone else while SSI was waiting for a conviction?

Does the severity of the crime affect the action? If so, where is that line drawn and who draws that line?

I get the innocent until proven guilty and that absolutely applies in certain situations, but we're talking the private sector. I would absolutely pull my child from a sports team where the coach was accused of molestation, conviction or not. I would certainly think twice about hiring someone who is currently being charged with stealing from their previous employer. It's about self-preservation.

It seems like about everyday now, someone is getting suspended or put on review from just being accused of wrongdoing, not even being arrested. The metoo movement and all that has put a lot of companies on edge where they react first and investigate later. And I'm not saying that's right, either. It's just an observation that we could probably debate for days. :)

KWS likes this.
  7. mmerriman

mmerriman Captain

totally valid question. If I ran a club or organization and a member were charged with child molestation for example I would want to suspend that member until they were proven guilty or declared innocent. If they were cleared, I'd let them back in. In the interim I don't want my organization to viewed as one the supports an accused (fill in the black).

8. KWS

Let me play devils advocate. If the agency suspended them then they must believe they were guilty.

How do you reinstate not just the member but the confidence of the public. With todays climate it is standard that if you were found not guilty ,,,, you go toff from a technicality. Not guilty and innocent are a far cry from each other. If an agency head was accused of tax evasion,,, what would happen to them. Should the company suspend them to avoid the legitimacy of their books, or leave them in place to say the company stands behind the person. Its unfortunate that image often forces action that the legality does not warrant.

How and who draws the line to say cross this and it reflects bad on your employer?????? And if the decision in the end, is the wrong one?????

Speaking only of cases here in my area those suspected of crimes such as teachers and student sex. they are put on admin leave wit the understanding that if found guilty they have to pay back the pay for the admin time taken. This is done to prevent cases of wrongful termination suits on the schools by the teachers. If found not guilty they return to their duties with free time off. Of course we all know how the public views it. The accused looses no matter what. Yet something has to be done when it comes to crimes involving your professional behavior.

9. mmerriman

mmerriman Captain

No - tha'ts not necessarily the case - they don't have to believe they are guilty, but do not want to be affiliated with the accusation. Ideally a membership agreement (or employment contract would spell that out. In the case of PADI its based on conviction.Accept that a criminal conviction involving abuse of a minor either during or prior to PADI Membership is grounds for denial or termination of PADI Membership. 19. Accept that a criminal conviction involving sexual abuse of an adult either during or prior to PADI Membership is grounds for denial or termination of PADI Membership. I have seen agreements that base this on accusation. Whether the org thinks they are guilty or not doens't matter. THeir view is that the accusation tarnishes the org and they don't want it on them.

10. gcarter

gcarter Orca

If public knowledge, do you have a link to a verifiable news source?