SSI Junior OW update?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coolfish5

Registered
Reaction score
I have a SSI Junior openwater certification that I got back 6 or 7 years ago. Is there any way to update that to a regular OW? Or should I just start from scratch for a new certification?
I have dove since I got certified but always with friends, never on a dive trip that required using my certification.
Any advice on direction I should take would be apreciated.
-John

coolfish5 once bubbled...
I have a SSI Junior openwater certification that I got back 6 or 7 years ago. Is there any way to update that to a regular OW? Or should I just start from scratch for a new certification?
I have dove since I got certified but always with friends, never on a dive trip that required using my certification.
Any advice on direction I should take would be apreciated.
-John
I do believe all that's required is that you submit your request for a new C-card through your local SSI shop and SSI will issue the updated card. However... as I understand it, the reason for going through a shop is so that someone you know and someone who knows you can evaluate your diving status to see if you've kept your skills up to speed of if you might need some refresher training. I expect that if you've been diving regularly and keeping a good log, it'll just be a paperwork drill. If you haven't, then the prudent dealer will have you at least jump in the pool for a skills demonstration.
E. itajara

If you haven't been diving they will most probably want you to take a scuba skills update course.

Otherwise, you'll fill out some paperwork and hand over some money and get a new card.

Peter

The problem being is the shop I got certified at has closed. I don't have a log of my dives tho.
I'll have to check arround but I dunno where another SSI shop is located as I have since moved as well.
-John

No log says a lot.
You'll definitely need a Scuba Skills Update, along with your JOW card. Depending on how that goes, you may or may not need to redo the course.
No log... 40 years ago it was ok... no more...
You can find the nearest SSI shop at www.ssiusa.com
Rick

I have log of my certification dives as well as a couple I did through the local shop. When I went with my friend it was just playing arround and so I never logged those. Oh well I guess.
The SSI list doesn't show any near by, ones I see are like 100+ miles which is a bit much. Guess I can see what local shops say about it.
-John

is to dive with a guardian/custodian.

Diving with your friends should not be considered since you are not certified to do that.

Sounds like you will need to start over and attend OW class with some agency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom