SSI Lost Records

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee Taylor

Crusty old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
200 - 499
SSI has lost (or misplaced) two of my certifications and record of four of my speciality courses. They are telling me that the certifications were likely with another agency. How ridiculous! They are suggesting that I dont know which agency I certified with. What a crock. Any one else out there had this kind of totally unacceptable business behavior with SSI? I plan to bump it up a level at a time until I can get past the people that answer the phone and just blow you off! :dork2:

If they have no record of them, are you sure the shop you did these courses through properly sent in the info to SSI?

I once knew a dive shop owner who would teach one agency and then certify people through another because he wasn't current with the one he taught. Mass confusion. Hmm now the shop is no longer in business, imagine that....

SSI has lost (or misplaced) two of my certifications and record of four of my speciality courses. They are telling me that the certifications were likely with another agency. How ridiculous! They are suggesting that I dont know which agency I certified with. What a crock. Any one else out there had this kind of totally unacceptable business behavior with SSI?

Your SSI Dive-Log (was given to you with your class materials) has pages in it that the shop is required to sign and put stickers on. If you can produce this, SSI will sell you a new card.

The shop that certified you is also required to keep records, and will be able to re-order your card for you.

Terry

PS. I wouldn't yell at SSI too much. It just makes it more embarrassing when you find out that they're right. The chances that they actually issued you a card, then lost all records of it are unbelievably slim, unless you were certified by one of the old agencies that they merged with (NASDS?), which did have some sort of records problem.

Only 2 of my 6 specialties show up on SSI's web site. I called and they said the dive shop would have to call to have those put on my record. I don't know why they're not there already. Could this have happened to you, too? The dive shop didn't follow through or is just behind?

Your SSI Dive-Log (was given to you with your class materials) has pages in it that the shop is required to sign and put stickers on. If you can produce this, SSI will sell you a new card.

The shop that certified you is also required to keep records, and will be able to re-order your card for you.

Terry

PS. I wouldn't yell at SSI too much. It just makes it more embarrassing when you find out that they're right. The chances that they actually issued you a card, then lost all records of it are unbelievably slim, unless you were certified by one of the old agencies that they merged with (NASDS?), which did have some sort of records problem.

I received the SSI cards many years ago. I held the cards in my hand. They are "right" in that they did a cursory search (while I was on hold on the phone) and could not find the records. At that point they just wanted to get off the phone as opposed to helping resolve the issue. I am a nuclear engineer and if I had their attitude we would "all" literally be in the dark.

The shop has been contacted.

I am sorry you are having such a bad time, they were able to find mine without a problem when I gave them my info (when certified, instructor name, shop name, my name) and I found them to be helpful and polite. The shop I certified at was no longer in business as I certified in 77 but they were able to access my info and get me a replacement card without any issue.

Only 2 of my 6 specialties show up on SSI's web site. I called and they said the dive shop would have to call to have those put on my record. I don't know why they're not there already. Could this have happened to you, too? The dive shop didn't follow through or is just behind?

Stay on top of it. SSI has my records from one scuba shop but nothing from another. I know they had it at one time because I received the cards issued by them. What bothers me most is the little girls that answer the phone have a "your problem, I don't care or want to hear about it, and we can not help" type attitude. :confused:

I am sorry you are having such a bad time, they were able to find mine without a problem when I gave them my info (when certified, instructor name, shop name, my name) and I found them to be helpful and polite. The shop I certified at was no longer in business as I certified in 77 but they were able to access my info and get me a replacement card without any issue.

I am interested to see how it resolves itself. It has certainly changed my perspective on SSI. I have my log and all the signatures up to 50 dives. I have contacted the initial scuba store I used and they are researching it.

Back
Top Bottom