SSI Lost Records

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive had nothing but great service from SSI.

And I also. There was no problem when I wanted to replace my 1970-vintage NASDS card. A photocopy it it was all the evidence the needed. Oh, and a form and of course some $$.

The LDS where I took some additional training didn't send in the paperwork. After some fruitless months emailing the LDS, I spoke to one of the SSI manager-type people; the LDS got a nudge, and I received the cards forthwith.

My first statement is that all communications and contact with anyone at SSI has been professional and friendly. Never did I feel brushed off or detect any tone in any SSI employee's voice that they were not more than happy to help me at all times.

I was certified by NASDS in 1968. I remember that my original NASDS card had crumbled some time ago. Fortunately I saved these pieces and had put them in a old sandwich bag in my personal files (Birth Cert, SSA card, military forms, and so on). These were kept in a safe deposit box. In the late 80's and again in 1993, I contacted NASDS to obtain another card by using the number off the crumbled card. The last NASDS card had a fiche inside that had my personal information and my number of recorded dives and all specialty courses. I had more than 400 dives and was listed as AOW which is what I had taken. I was told I was very lucky as there had been a fire and more than half the records of certifications were lost forever. The NASDS lady told me because I had requested a new card in 1988/89, my file was not in the area of the fire. This was the only reason she could think of that my file was not burned and lost forever.

My last dives were in 1993-1995. I'm now retired and wanted to start diving again but felt that it was in everyones best interest that I take a refresher course. This is were I found NASDS no longer exists and SSI had the files. When I first called, they did not have any record of me. I don't think SSI would intenially discard my files as I knew NASDS had them and they had survived the fire. It was not an issue, I sent them the required picture, went to the library and made a copy of the fiche in my NASDS card to show my specialty course and AOW. I paid for two cards and mailed in the info. Within two weeks I had my two cards with my logged dives and AOW certification. We have no local (within 100 miles and I live in Florida) SSI shop. I need Nitrox and Rescue for Master Diver Certification. The lady at SSI told me to send proof of certification of Nitrox and Rescue by either PADI or NAUI and they would issue me a SSI Master Diver Cert since I had enough LOGGED dives.

Before i get flamed, I have signed up for the BASIC OW course. I'm not taking a refresher, if I can't pass the OW course, I should not be diving. I've had a FULL physical, the works, have clean blood flow and almost full clean lungs after stop smoking 2 years Jan. 8th 2009. I took a test before I quit for Chantix ( timetoquit.com ) and they are watching my lungs at no charge and measure my usable lung capacity every six months. The Doctor tells me I have gained almost 100% of my long capacity and the early indications on Xrays before I quit of early bronchitis have disappeared from the xrays. I was told your lungs return to normal after 2 years, the risk for cancer really doesn't start falling off until around year 7, but falls off quick. My risk will never be that of a non-smoker but at 10 years my risk will be closer to someone exposed to second hand smoke than a smoker. Food for thought, how many people have I hurt? So, like I said, bypassing the refresher and going for the OW Basic, then I will do Nitrox and maybe Rescue so that I can get Master Diver.

Sorry for the long winded note but I think the people at SSI were mis-characterized. They worked with me and at the time I could not find my old card as I had moved. They gave me many options to get my cert card back, just a letter from a witness or instructor (would have been hard to do back to 1968). I did do a search and all my instructor had passed away. Man, I was certified with the same gear as Sea Hunt, the duo hose, mae west, and weight belt, with just a back pack to hold the tank. It was that crotch strap I hated. The most expensive part of the gear was the farmer John wet suit that had to be custom made. Todays dive tables are so much more conservative than the Navy tables we used back then. Only fail safe back then was the bottom time started as soon as you head went under water. you never looked at much during descent, you waited until ascent.

Off topic, back then, so many places to dive unrestricted. Today they are all State Parks and have been gated off or require so much certification you could fly Air Force 1. I guess it's to save our life. Back then, we would or could lose 4-6 divers a year.

Back to my story, SSI was great to me. I'm sorry you had problems but if NASDS did not pass on the info, shame on them. Remember when this President Bush took over the White House, all the staff that probably would have stayed had Gore won removed all the W's off all the keyboards. How do you think the NASDS staff felt when they were told they had no job but yet get SSI all the records and do a good job, put in your best effort.

I think both PADI and SSI work together pretty good but I get the feeling from my local NAUI shop, not so. It may be just that store and trying to make money on courses, who knows. In my conversations with SSI, they seem eager to work with any of them IF, YOU HAVE THE REQUIRED LOGGED DIVES. SSI requires a lot more LOGGED dives to reach certain certifications. I think Master is either 50 or 100, where PADI is much less. Same deal with Advanced, SSI requires more I think.

I promise, no more. i got one of those red notes indicating it has been a long time since i made a post, sort of like a warning, post or get out. he, he, he....:dork2:

Sorry for the long winded note but I think the people at SSI were mis-characterized.

My apologies to SSI. I determined the root cause of the problem and fixed it. As it turns out the cause of the problem was not SSI. Although at the time I did want SSI to step up and get to the cause of the problem. In hind sight, the blame is mine. I should have followed up and made sure things were completed. Bottom line ... verify everything.

Mr/Ms Taylor,

Great post. I think we all learned from the issues you had getting your Cert card back. Excellent point that we need to be the keepers of our important information and not depend upon someone who knows nothing about you or your certifications if they don't have it. Again, thanks for the post. 38EL

I think SSI had a fire in their office years and years ago. Might explain the problem. Is the Dive shop you took the classes with still around? The local DS is supposed to keep the SSI hard records, too (it's a folder with training info in it). As a backup, there is always your Dive Log, which the Instructor is supposed to sign, too. If you can track down the specific instructor, no reason they wouldn't help you. Otherwise, the SSI folks have always been really helpful.

While I wish all of you good luck, this same thing happened to me with another agency I certified through. So, I had to recertify because I lost my c-card and they didn't have my records. Ugggghhh. (make a color copy of your original c card and put it in your safe deposit box!!!!)

Lee, Thanks for your apology to ssi it takes a lot of courage to admit when you have made a error. and it speak volumes about you as a person. please all of you out there keep this in mind when things don't go the way you think they should. Many times there are mitigating circumstances which we do not see or understand. SSI is a great certification agency, committed to working hand in hand with dealers,instructors and divers to make all of us better stewards of the under water world. Some times things slip between the crack. SSI, or any worth while organizations reputation for that mater can be hurt very easily in this fast paced cyber world, all it takes is a stroke of a key...If we would only approach what curves life throws at us the same way all good divers do. calmly, slowly and in complete control.Well, for what it's worth I'll dive with you any time...
Chris

Back
Top Bottom