SSI or PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For perhaps the 100th time in the last calendar year, I would like to point out that whatever experience you had in your OW course is the experience you had with that instructor. It may be that the instructor followed course standards perfectly. It may be that the instructor did whatever he or she damned well pleased. It may be something in between that. It is always a huge mistake to assume that what you experienced is precisely the same as everyone else's experience with that agency.

That is especially true for people who love to compare their memories of a class 40 years ago with a class they observed more recently.

As for PADI or SSI..... SSI started life as a PADI clone. They copied the course and changed only the minimum number of things to avoid copyright infringement. Fairly recently PADI has been innovating again--as John pointed out--and at some point SSI will follow suit, because following is what they do best.... .

Rob,

Have you seen the SSI online content? As for open water, they surpassed everyone. I no longer teach at a shop, so I don’t teach any SSI programs, but I have to tip my hat to what they achieved.

The mastery of the content was universal for my students when I taught SSI open water. They really have effective online training and I think all agencies, including SDI the agency for which I teach, should all take note. All I had to teach was skills, not theory. When I taught in the PADI system, whether students used books or touch, it wasn’t the same. Now as I went inactive at the end of 2017, I cannot speak about how PADI has improved their digital content. I haven’t taught SDI open water so I cannot yet compare, but no offense, from what I have seen so far, SSI looks better. I just haven’t experienced how SDI open water students master the basic dive theory from just the online content.

But your statement that SSI only follows is false. Check out the free preview on divessi.com and see for yourself.

I’d be happy to show you my teaching slates for SSI’s open water course if you are interested in seeing the difference and that SSI didn’t follow.

I don’t care what SSI did in the past, but today they have a very robust open water program.

I did my OW with PADI them my deep diver and nitrox with SSI. I am a member of a BSAC club and did my first night and drift dives with them. The quality of the instructor and the dive location is by far the most important. Of people doing try dives or starting courses the highest continuation rates are in warm water holiday locations. Starting in a warm water holiday location usually means you are doing a proper dive in the sea within a couple of hours of starting instead of spending several sessions in a pool and lectures.

Of people doing try dives or starting courses the highest continuation rates are in warm water holiday locations. Starting in a warm water holiday location usually means you are doing a proper dive in the sea within a couple of hours of starting instead of spending several sessions in a pool and lectures.

Interesting claim... I'm curious about the source. My experience is not consistent with this claim.

I dont think it really matters. what ever the shop supports will get the job done. even withinthe same agency the outcome is heavily dependant on the instructor and what he and you put into the training.

Instructor matters more than the agency between these two. From what I have seen, SSI seems to have a superior quality control over who teaches under them than PADI. If I knew nothing about the instructor and was to decided simply on the agency then I would go with SSI.

In scuba diving industry, larger does not necessarily mean better. Agencies that have strict standards and requirements from divers as well as instructors graduate less people and are therefore smaller. Those with loose standards and poor quality control end up teaching the world how to dive.

I see you're spouting more of your ill informed and highly biased nonsense again.

I am a consumer in the dive industry not a dive-professional. I have no financial stakes in either PADI or SSI or any other agency at this point.

What about you? What is your agency affiliation?

I am a consumer in the dive industry not a dive-professional. I have no financial stakes in either PADI or SSI or any other agency at this point.

What about you? What is your agency affiliation?

I'm multi agency, but that doesn't matter.

All the major agencies recognised and audited quality standards

Your sweeping remarks are disingenuous to all the hard working and dedicated instructors from all agencies who put in a considerable amount of time and effort in teaching students to a high standard.

Yes there are some who don't care, but that's more about personal integrity more than specific agency.

I'm multi agency, but that doesn't matter.

All the major agencies recognised and audited quality standards

Your sweeping remarks are disingenuous to all the hard working and dedicated instructors from all agencies who put in a considerable amount of time and effort in teaching students to a high standard.

Yes there are some who don't care, but that's more about personal integrity more than specific agency.

You are not stating your agency because you are directly affiliated with one of the two in question so stop beating around the bush and stop acting tough.

Some of the best instruction I have had was from the smallest agencies and the worst was with the big ones. If stating this hurts your business then it is not my concern. My loyalty lies with the guy who spends money and not the one who makes money.

Yes. Instructor matters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom