SSI OW course requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What shop is that and in what are are you located? So if I ever hear of anyone seeking training in your vicinity, I can send them your way. Do you teach all skills midwater?

to be more clear. those six nights are done either one night/week for 6 weeks, or two nights a week for 3 weeks. we do the odd weekend course on special request. i try to teach all my students in the horizontal diver position. not all instr at our shop do. i also encourage neutral buoyancy of course but am not fanatical about it. i cannot refuse to certify a student if they can't do all their skills while remaining neutral and horizontal.

to be more clear. those six nights are done either one night/week for 6 weeks, or two nights a week for 3 weeks. we do the odd weekend course on special request. i try to teach all my students in the horizontal diver position. not all instr at our shop do. i also encourage neutral buoyancy of course but am not fanatical about it. i cannot refuse to certify a student if they can't do all their skills while remaining neutral and horizontal.
I teach in a different system and am not familiar with the SSI OW program (though I'm guessing it is similar). That is just a lot of pool time where I feel people can establish a lot of comfort with the required skills, preferably neutrally buoyant. I think twice per week for 3 weeks is pretty darn good. And yes, requiring students to perform skills neutrally buoyant cannot be mandated (standards violation), but teaching them that way helps them develop proper buoyancy/trim much more quickly than on their knees. So again, the answers to my questions.... And one more. What is your instructor to student ratio?

we typically teach very small classes. sometimes only 2 students at a times. i have 5 right now. that is the biggest class i have done in 2 1/2 yrs. when i do open water dives i have never taken more than 4 at a time and i would rather only take 2. i just find the student and have a better connection that way and i think they get more out of the class

i am in a small town in canada. trust me. you will never have anyone come thru here. haha

we typically teach very small classes. sometimes only 2 students at a times. i have 5 right now. that is the biggest class i have done in 2 1/2 yrs. when i do open water dives i have never taken more than 4 at a time and i would rather only take 2. i just find the student and have a better connection that way and i think they get more out of the class

i am in a small town in canada. trust me. you will never have anyone come thru here. haha

Haha! Okay. Just really like the impression I'm getting of how you run things. I wish that was more common.

My daughter started internship at an SSI-training LDS today and they told her that they wanted her to do the SSI seven check out dives in one of their OW classes, (at no charge to her), just to ensure that her PADI experience meets their SSI standards. Then she can work towards SSI DM if she wants, although she was PADI through rescue Cert. Trying to switch Cert. Agencies, you can find that some places do demand more in-water skills time than others.

Back
Top Bottom