SSI OW multiple guess exam!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TennisCoach

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

I just wanted to see if someone here can tell me what to expect in the SSI OW exam? I will be taking the exam in a week from Thursday and I do not know what to expect. I see a lot of people here talk about failing the OW dives but not the written exam. I am horrible at taking test even when I know the material inside and out. I get mental blocks and I will not remember my name. the instructor told us that the test is gonna be at least 50% about tables and I think I got them down pack, but if they start to ask the questions in a weird way then I will be in trouble. Just to clarify I AM NOT:no: looking for the questions and the answers. I just want to know how you guys studied for it and how hard is it to pass.

Thank you
CC

I don't know anything about the SSI exam but my wife passed it 13 years ago with no difficulties. If you have done the book work, you won't have a problem.

HOWEVER, read the list of answers from the bottom up. There will probably be cases where, if you read the answers from the top down, you select the first of multiple correct answers rather than reading all of the answers and picking 'both A & B'. This type of thing ABSOLUTELY occurs on PADI exams. There's a reason I know this...

I have found that all of these kinds of exams use questions straight from the book work. In the case of PADI, the Knowledge Reviews are not always multiple choice but the fill in answer will be part of the exam. So, just review your work.

Don't obsess, I have never heard of anyone failing the written exam.

Richard

First of all don't get worked up about failing, as you've noted few people do, and in any case this isn't a career breaker where a failure would mess up your life. If you should fail, I'm sure there's a system for reviewing the problem and re-taking the test.

The test is to verify that you understand the basics of diving and isn't designed to trip you up. There won't be trick questions, Take your time, and if you know the material you won't have any problem.

To prepare, build your comfort level by reviewing your workbook and working some of the sample problems just to be sure your comfortable with your knowledge. Spend a few minutes extra on anything you don't feel comfortable with so that you have it down.

I don't suggest any kind of cramming, since most of this stuff isn't just for passing a test, getting your grade, and forgetting later. It's information you'll be using regularly as you dive, or will need to have at hand when the occasion arises.

An important part of diving is managing stress in difficult situations, especially for new divers. Consider this test as practice in stress management. Relax, assess the situation, fall back on your knowledge and work through it. You'll be fine.

I AM NOT:no: [/U]looking for the questions and the answers. I just want to know how you guys studied for it and how hard is it to pass.

Thank you
CC

You will find the questions are just like the chapter questions, Expect questions about why certain pieces of equipment are used, how to stay safe in the sport, the environment you are entering, and table questions. It is very simple and straight forward.

To study, read the questions at the end of each chapter again, In your log book, there is a section in gray that lists all the skills you should have learned, a couple of questions might be from that list. :wink:

Your SAFETY is the number one concern, that is all I'll say. :D

There are no trick questions. If you have a problem ask for clarification. If written tests are an issue ask for an oral exam.

Most important!

Relax and have fun!

Let's see... did you get all of the chapter questions right? If you did you're in really good shape... although some of the answers on the exam will have to come from your instructor. It's a good idea to know how to plan a repetitive dive anyways, not just for the exam... there are four questions where you need to figure your final group. (Maybe it was 3?)

The rest of the content is straight from the book with only a few questions outside of it. If your instructor was like ours, he will have a "exam cheat-sheet" and be asking question off of it. My wife passed it with no problem... of course, she had my training to draw upon as well. Timewise, we spent about a day total going over the book... I read it first to get an idea of what changed since I was certified and found the book to be much less than impressive when compared to my NASDS Safe Scuba books. But very little has actually changed.

If you're really concerned, work with your fellow classmates to go over the questions and work a few more dives from the tables... it would be really good practice to do a few problems where you have more than one repetitive dive... this gets you used to figuring out your remaining time figuring in your residual nitrogen time.

Ken

Hey guys,

I just wanted to see if someone here can tell me what to expect in the SSI OW exam? I will be taking the exam in a week from Thursday and I do not know what to expect. I see a lot of people here talk about failing the OW dives but not the written exam. I am horrible at taking test even when I know the material inside and out. I get mental blocks and I will not remember my name. the instructor told us that the test is gonna be at least 50% about tables and I think I got them down pack, but if they start to ask the questions in a weird way then I will be in trouble. Just to clarify I AM NOT:no: looking for the questions and the answers. I just want to know how you guys studied for it and how hard is it to pass.

Thank you
CC

If you tend to have mental blocks, ask how much time you have (I think there is no limitation).
Than first read the test but don't checkmark anything...just read.
Than drink a coffee (tee, coke, vodka whatever) and than slowly start with the first question.

Remember the concept of inclusion! The goal of all of the agencies is to include more divers. They WANT you to pass and they will do everything possible, short of risking your life, to include you in the sport.

This is unlike other forms of training (eg. military) where flunking out marginal or unmotivated students is expected and encouraged.

Richard

The best advice I can give it "RTFQ, RTFA"
Read the FULL question, Read the FOUR answers" Don't automatically jump on the first answer that you think is correct.

You should do fine if you have read the chapters, watched the video & listened to the lectures. Most instructors I've seen will emphasize the points that are on the test. Lead Carrier's advice to read the full question & read all the answers is excellent. Even though there is a little bit of everything on the test, I would suggest you re-read chapters 3 & 4 dealing with the physics, physiology & planning. The test is not as bad as you would think. Just read the book & chapter questions again & watch the video (if you have the time)- it is all there & you should do just fine. Don't get too worked up over it.

I took the SSI OW exam about 3 weeks ago. The only problem I found was that 3 people in my class had different tests than I did, so that made for a bit of confusion. But other than that the test was not that hard. Just pay attention as a couple of the questions are designed to trip you up if you don't read them carefully. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom