SSI OW vs. Padi OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hobodiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a certified Padi diver, but a friend of mine is thinking of doing his OW through SSI. What's the difference between skills and such between the Padi and SSI OW certification levels? Are they basically the same? Does SSI include diving deeper than the Padi recommended 60 ft for OW?

Also, is SSI as widely recognized as Padi outside the US?

SSI is just as widley recognized as PADI around the world. SSI and PADI are similar in their requirements. There are other agencies with better (IMO) standards that result in better divers, but you can find good and bad instructors anywhere. Is your friend just looking for a card or would he like the best possible training?

I think primarily he wants to get a C-card, and he lives in an area with limited training options. I know SSI and PADI are available, but not sure about others. Eventually I think he will want to take the PADI equivalent of Advanced OW (since there are some dive sites we want to visit that require "advanced certification"), but I'm not sure what the SSI equivalent is. Is it Advanced Adventurer? The SSI Advanced OW seems almost equivalent to Padi Master Scuba Diver.

Also, what agency do you think has better standards?

I think primarily he wants to get a C-card, and he lives in an area with limited training options. I know SSI and PADI are available, but not sure about others. Eventually I think he will want to take the PADI equivalent of Advanced OW (since there are some dive sites we want to visit that require "advanced certification"), but I'm not sure what the SSI equivalent is. Is it Advanced Adventurer? The SSI Advanced OW seems almost equivalent to Padi Master Scuba Diver.

Also, what agency do you think has better standards?
The correct answer is that they are basically the same. Beyond OW the diverge a bit, but again are basically the same. You can cross over to any agencies courses regardless of original cert in most cases. There are plenty of marketing points however as to one over the other. Your best bet is to tell him to talk to the instructors at both places and ask them. Also, this topic has been covered many times in the general forums.

The skills taught are basically the same. SSI's main difference from PADI has nothing to do with the divers, it is in administration. SSI requires their instructors to be shop affiliated where PADI instructors have no such requirement. SSI also utilizes a total diving system, which basically attempts to have new divers purchase as much equipment from the get go as possible. The idea behind the total diving system has merits as the more the student has invested in learning the course, the more likely the student is to continue diving after training. The differences in the much touted in "Advanced" open water is not as extreme as others try to make it, as comparing SSI's specialties and PADI's specialties are like apples and oranges. Look at the numbers of dives required to achieve the specialties in each program, and the ability or inability to combine courses during the same dives and you'll find the answers. In example, PADI does not allow combining courses during a dive with the only exception being nitrox. PADI requires 4 dives for a Deep certification versus 2 with SSI. They are both fine courses that will teach you, with a good instructor, what you or your friend are wanting to learn. And no, the depth limit "recommendations" are the same for both agencies; 60 feet for open water "until training and/or experience increases; 100 feet for those with training or experience. SSI AOW does require the diver to have 25 dives a requirement not mirrored by PADI. Both SSI and PADI Master Scuba Diver require 5 specialties, Rescue and 50 dives, a card reflective of the diver's accomplishment and pursuit of training.

hobodiver:
I think primarily he wants to get a C-card

If he's not concerned about quality, he should pick the cheapest class and he'll get a c-card.

hobodiver:
Eventually I think he will want to take the PADI equivalent of Advanced OW (since there are some dive sites we want to visit that require "advanced certification"), but I'm not sure what the SSI equivalent is.

SSI has an advanced certification that is accepted in the same manner a PADI AOW card is accepted. It requires 24 dives (can get the PADI in 9) and specialy classes.

omg, not another "who's best" thread!!

search is your friend.

First of all, it's not a "which is better" thread.

As for the SSI Advanced OW, it requires the completion of 4 specialty courses, not 5 specialty dives, like the PADI Advanced OW.

The SSI Advanced Adventurer seems to correspond most closely to Padi AOW.

So if he gets SSI Advanced Adventurer, and goes somewhere that requires "Advanced", might they say "no, you need to be Advanced Open Water, not Adventure" (Padi Adventure diver is below Padi AOW).

No, it's not. If you would've read the thread prior to posting, you would've known it too.

You are 100% correct. Had I read thoroughly the posting I would not have mouthed off.

Sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom