SSI OW vs. Padi OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all, it's not a "which is better" thread.

As for the SSI Advanced OW, it requires the completion of 4 specialty courses, not 5 specialty dives, like the PADI Advanced OW.

The SSI Advanced Adventurer seems to correspond most closely to Padi AOW.

So if he gets SSI Advanced Adventurer, and goes somewhere that requires "Advanced", might they say "no, you need to be Advanced Open Water, not Adventure" (Padi Adventure diver is below Padi AOW).
Correct, PADIs structure is this.

OW
AOW (5 adventure dives)
Specialities
Rescue
Master Scuba DIver (OW, AOW, Rescue, 5 Specialities, 50 dives logged)

As compared to SSI, OW is basically the same, everything else differs, different names, different reqs.

The skills taught are basically the same. SSI's main difference from PADI has nothing to do with the divers, it is in administration. SSI requires their instructors to be shop affiliated where PADI instructors have no such requirement. SSI also utilizes a total diving system, which basically attempts to have new divers purchase as much equipment from the get go as possible. The idea behind the total diving system has merits as the more the student has invested in learning the course, the more likely the student is to continue diving after training. The differences in the much touted in "Advanced" open water is not as extreme as others try to make it, as comparing SSI's specialties and PADI's specialties are like apples and oranges. Look at the numbers of dives required to achieve the specialties in each program, and the ability or inability to combine courses during the same dives and you'll find the answers. In example, PADI does not allow combining courses during a dive with the only exception being nitrox. PADI requires 4 dives for a Deep certification versus 2 with SSI. They are both fine courses that will teach you, with a good instructor, what you or your friend are wanting to learn. And no, the depth limit "recommendations" are the same for both agencies; 60 feet for open water "until training and/or experience increases; 100 feet for those with training or experience. SSI AOW does require the diver to have 25 dives a requirement not mirrored by PADI. Both SSI and PADI Master Scuba Diver require 5 specialties, Rescue and 50 dives, a card reflective of the diver's accomplishment and pursuit of training.

I wouldnt say thats the main difference, but as this is an SSI forum, I dont want to get into the standard argument. The OP question was whether the OW course is the same, which i think it is for the most part, even though the support system may be different.

I started with PADI and have since moved to SSI. The difference is in your instructor. Regardless of the agency, your instructor makes a huge difference in what kind of diver you'll turn out to be and how much you enjoy diving. Explore every dive shop in your area and pick the one that you feel best about in terms of friendliness and professionalism.

I started with PADI and have since moved to SSI. The difference is in your instructor. Regardless of the agency, your instructor makes a huge difference in what kind of diver you'll turn out to be and how much you enjoy diving. Explore every dive shop in your area and pick the one that you feel best about in terms of friendliness and professionalism.

ding. ding. ding. ---- we have a winner.

Back
Top Bottom