SSI TechXr Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took the SSI Advance Nitrox/ Tech Foundations class last year, and loved it. The instructor was very thorough (Uncle Ricky Murchison, you should pm him with questions). The class was filled with all sorts of formulas and equations, in-depth use of v-planner software, individual gear recommendations based on the type of diving planned to be done in the future, and real world experience. I firmly believe that it is the instructor, not the agency, that makes a good diver. That being said, I was very happy with the bookwork. No complaints from me, and hope to finish the tech xr program through normoxic trimix one day.

I was told once that TDI Adv nitrox cert allows fills up to 100% oxygen, where SSI Adv Nitrox will only certify one for fills to 90% oxygen. Any truth to this?

Not sure. The manual doesn't discuss limitations as I recall, I'll check again. My LDS said he'd fill 100% with an Advanced Nitrox cert from SSI.

I know...the instructor makes the course. Now that I have that out of the way, does anyone have outlines on the TDI and/or SSI courses? I am also thinking about tech courses, but I would like to see course objects or class outlines for both.
Thanks,
Carrie

I was told once that TDI Adv nitrox cert allows fills up to 100% oxygen, where SSI Adv Nitrox will only certify one for fills to 90% oxygen. Any truth to this?

I don't know the SSI standards but can't for the life of me imagine why they would limit you to 90% O2. That makes no sense.

The SSI Tec Program divides it up into Foundations/Adv Nitrox , Deco, Advanced Deco, and Normoxic Trimix. As far as I know, they don't have an advanced trimix or any other of programs like TDI does. Hopefully it will come. The first three courses are gonna cost me $400 each, then the Trimix is $600. Still sounds like a deal though.

What is "advanced deco?" Multiple bottles?

I firmly believe that the student makes the diver. Instructor and agencies have an impact, but like anything else in life, what you get out is directly correlated to what you put in.

This thread is already somewhat older, but I could give some background on the choices that have been made, at least as I understood them from Steve Newmann, the author.

SSI has not been pioneered in Tech diving. Therefore adopted common/general best practices.

SSI has been looking to make entrancelevel as close to rec programs as possible. Thus avoiding that SSI diverd have to move to another training organisation when considering technical diving.

True, the instructor is an important factor. So besides the author you will want to find a experienced techdiver as instructor and not an experienced rec diver who became technical instructor.

I do have the outline and manuals. I am not enough familiar with standards from other organsations. Things could always be better but between courses students need to get in an certain amount. Ten dives is not too much, but better than nothin

With Adv Nitrox a deco gas is not needed for deco but more for practise certification.

Let me know if I can anwsner more questions.

Pieter Kop
IT TXR

Hey everybody,

I'm starting my Tec diving soon, and my instructor talked me into doing the TXR program instead of TDI. I am just wondering what everyones opinions are if you have done any of the programs. I have read all five sections, and was a little disapointed in the lack of equations and information. Do other programs offer more information than this manual or is that in Tec diving most of the learning actually comes from real diving with an instructor... I expected there to be more suggestive techniques and equations whereas it seems to be a generalization. Is this the norm with Tec courses? Is a cave course where I will learn alot more techniques? Or is diving just simpler than I am trying to make it be?

Back
Top Bottom