SSI wreck specialty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going in March in Tenerife for a week.

Thought I might do the recreational wreck specialty. The shop I was planning to go with switched from PADI to SSI.

I don’t have a biais towards any agency. However they told me that the wreck specialty has only two dives with SSI. I think the PADI one has four dives.

Are they really equivalent in terms of skills taught even though you get two less dives ? They seem to be similarly priced which is strange to me as you get one less day of diving.

It will be very difficult to think of a course with half the dives is worth more than a course with double the training dives if everything else is equal. A great deal depends on the instructor who is teaching it but I'd insist on more diving and more skills done during the course. A lot of instructors/dive centers teach these specialty courses as "let's go diving on wrecks" instead of "let's go learn how to dive on wrecks properly."

It will be very difficult to think of a course with half the dives is worth more than a course with double the training dives if everything else is equal. A great deal depends on the instructor who is teaching it but I'd insist on more diving and more skills done during the course. A lot of instructors/dive centers teach these specialty courses as "let's go diving on wrecks" instead of "let's go learn how to dive on wrecks properly."
My experience is that unless you train with very famous divers you will only know after the class whether it was a good one or not.

I think I’ll end up doing my wreck class with them as I cannot be bothered going to a different site just for this but I’ll make sure to get more experience later on anyway by just diving more.

Also they do not have bad reviews, and reply to my emails quickly with detailed answers which means that they must be at least nice people to dive with :)

My experience is that unless you train with very famous divers you will only know after the class whether it was a good one or not.

I think I’ll end up doing my wreck class with them as I cannot be bothered going to a different site just for this but I’ll make sure to get more experience later on anyway by just diving more.

Also they do not have bad reviews, and reply to my emails quickly with detailed answers which means that they must be at least nice people to dive with :)

Just let them know that you are interested in improving your wreck diving skill level much more than getting a c-card and let them know that you want real training with real skills. This will probably light a fire under their asses and will know that you are looking for more/better training and not just get certified.

This is at least what I would do in your scenario. I'd also insist on more training dives (and be ready to pay for them).

Just let them know that you are interested in improving your wreck diving skill level much more than getting a c-card and let them know that you want real training with real skills. This will probably light a fire under their asses and will know that you are looking for more/better training and not just get certified.

This is at least what I would do in your scenario. I'd also insist on more training dives (and be ready to pay for them).
Agree with you, that was my plan as well. Regardless of the classs duration, I plan to be diving 5 days. So I’ll pay for the extra dives and ask to have a bit of wreck training during some of these dives.

I think that’s good advice to tell instructors that you want to learn rather than being certified. Like you said, you usually get better classes :).

Agree with you, that was my plan as well. Regardless of the classs duration, I plan to be diving 5 days. So I’ll pay for the extra dives and ask to have a bit of wreck training during some of these dives.

I think that’s good advice to tell instructors that you want to learn rather than being certified. Like you said, you usually get better classes :).

Good luck to you and please do let me know how it works out for you. BTW, I am visiting in London now :)

Good luck to you and please do let me know how it works out for you. BTW, I am visiting in London now :)
That’s funny, that you happen to be in London now. I am actually French but I have been living in the UK since 2003. :)

I hope you didn’t come to London for diving or you may be disappointed :wink:

That’s funny, that you happen to be in London now. I am actually French but I have been living in the UK since 2003. :)

I hope you didn’t come to London for diving or you may be disappointed :wink:

I am Libyan but just visiting in the UK, not much to do with diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom