St. Croix 2018 - Trip Report and Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In case anybody doubted Choiahoy abut Mantas in St Croix

I wasn't there but the group in St. Croix that does a mile-long swim 3-4 times a week on the North Shore was, including Scott Fricks and Carol Hadley Fricks, who had some delightful, friendly company -- not to mention a good camera and nice editing skills -- as you'll see here.

That's awesome! Hope you get to see the manta TN Traveler. It was huge--more the size of the ones I've seen in Asia.

Great report! We loved St. Croix when we dived there two years ago. We did boat dives and our last two dives were at the pier. We sure wished we would've gone there earlier in the trip. When we go back to St. Croix, we'll definitely spend a lot of time at the pier! There's so much sea life to view on the pilings, in the sand, etc. I saw my first batfish there! St. Croix is awesome!

Thanks for the report & vid. We also really enjoy the pier, but don't forget the boat diving out of Christiansted (I know @choiahoy boat dives weren't your cup of tea :vomit:). With all of the sharks and turtles, I've had some great "head on a swivel" dives with Michelle Pugh & Dive Experience. We hope to get back to St. Croix someday soon. :)

I'd be curious to hear more about your boat dives out of Christiansted. Were the seas rough when you were there? Generally, how far away were the dive sites?

We were there in late January. There was a little chop, but nothing I would consider "sporty." Of course it was very wind dependent and the days we were there the winds were modest. We dived Salt River Canyon sites, Sugar Beach, and Turquoise Bay among others. None were more than a 20 min. +/- boat ride. There was lots of wildlife. The Turquoise Bay site in particular was loaded with sharks and turtles. Really entertaining diving. :)

Awesome video! We have some friends trying to convince us to go with them to St
Croix, your report may clinch it!

Did you take a drone with you?

Last edited:
Awesome video! We have some friends trying to convince us to go with them to St
Croix, for report may clinch it!

Did you take a drone with you?
We experienced only a fraction of diving in St Croix and loved it—I think it’s a great choice.

I brought my DJI Mavic Air. There are a few new travel drones in the market that are really portable.

Last edited:
As a fish guy I loved the queen and transitioning French Angels. That's the largest Frenchie still showing juvenile coloration I've ever seen. I also loved the mixed up banded butterfly fish following the pork fish around. LOL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom