St. Croix Assistance Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like the restaurant you're describing Tim. 2nd floor, very open, looks out on the street/boardwalk/harbor, depending on your table. Bacchus is another excellent rest. on a second floor with windows to a street, But Tivoli is known for lobster. If you didn't think Anchor Dive was totally lame, you're too easy to please. Don't rate STX diving based on that experience. If you missed doing a night dive on the "pier" (cruise ship pier), You'll have to come back!

Darlene

Bacchus! That was the restaurant. Thanks for getting that one out of my head. Loved the food and the atomosphere. The diving was okay. Like I said if its all about the diving then its got to be someplace like Little Cayman, Turks & Caicos or Cozumel. No offense.

st.croix has got some good diving. i lived there for about 18 months,while i worked at the refinery. dove with most of the shops on the island.scuba may be the best. close to where you'll be. nice boat and the people are great.cane bay dive shop is where i learned to dive. great people but,its a little hard to get to.
good luck.:)

clockradio

Any dives that are a must do? How about other things to do topside that are a must do? Your local knowledge is appreciated.

I'll chime in here!

I did St. Croix about a year ago with Dive Experience. They were fantastic and very accomodating.

My favortite dive was a shore dive from Cane Bay. It's a surface swim about 50-75 yards from shore to a buoy, then down to about 40 fsw or so. Then out about another 30-50 feet to the edge of the wall. I will wholeheartedly disagree with the poster who said this was not a typical wall. This dropped off to oblivion right from the start. It was just incredible! Lots of great sea life attached to the wall sides.

The return swim is basically in sand, but make the deco really easy as it is a gradual incline.

I've been told that the pier in Frederikstead (sp?) was a great dive when there were no ships in dock.

Have fun!

detroit diver once bubbled...
I will wholeheartedly disagree with the poster who said this was not a typical wall. This dropped off to oblivion right from the start. It was just incredible!

Just to be clear I was talking about the wall outside of the Salt River Bay not Cane Bay.

If you get a chance to dive the Cane Bay wall, I highly recommend it. It's very dramatic.

Tim Ingersoll once bubbled...

Just to be clear I was talking about the wall outside of the Salt River Bay not Cane Bay.

let's see/ ya out at cane bay north star is a good dive.
the east &west wall out of salt river. the Fredrecksted pier at night is a pretty good dive too. i didn't think much of the wrecks,but one out by christedsted harbour is good. they have a barge that flipped over. their are some big green moray ells that live under the barge. dive experience has a fish feed there,and when ever they here the bubbles they come out.they think the feed bag is on. i also spotted some nice dolphins there.
out at cane bay they a full moon party thats a wild time. just remembered that "rust op twist" is good too. lots of fish good 2nd dive. max about 50 ft. rust op twist was the name of a plantation.their was a program that they used to have a study of fish life,before it was cancelled. well thats it of the top of my head. have fun.:)

clockradio

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to trying a different locale for diving. Was in your town about 2 weeks ago on business, man am I glad I left Houston. Almost forgot just how hot it is there in the summer.

Thanks again

I'll chime in that the diving at STX is good - not great, but very enjoyable. Cane Bay and North Star are both very nice. We also dove at the Frederikstad end of the island, a wreck dive and then a shallow dive nearer the pier: again, very enjoyable, not awesome. The best snorkeling, IMHO, is at Turner Hole, which is the area inside the reef at the beach where the Divi hotel is now.

Be sure to check out the crab races at Stixx - lots of fun, as well as that is a super restaurant/bar right at the marina. There are many, many great restaurants in Christiansted - Bacchus is one, kind of pricey tho. Rum Runner has the very best key lime pie (after an extensive taste test). For casual outdoor dining try Cheeseburger in American Paradise" - yum!

And a fun side trip thru the rain forest at the northeast corner of the island; don't miss the Mt. Pelier Domino Club and their famous beer-drinking (non-alcoholic) pigs. Cruzan Rum Distillery - fun tour, nice tasting room. Finally, if anyone in your group loves shopping, Christiansted is top notch!!!

Back
Top Bottom