St. Croix Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pettifogger

Reaction score
Rodales ranked St. Croix #2 in the Caribbean for shore diving, right behind Bonaire.

I have been to Bonaire three times in the past year, and I agree that the shore diving there is nothing short of spectacular... The salt pier and town pier (both excellent night dives), Hilma Hooker, Angel City, Karpata, 1000 steps - all top notch. I think there are around 50+ marked dive sites along the coastline. The problem is that they almost all have the same profile, the reef starts at 25 ft., slow slope down to 120 feet, sand at `130 feet.... There are no sand chutes or Abyssal walls to speak of ("small wall" and "cliff" are nice, but only follow the same profile described above a little more quickly... There are some nice deeper dives (for those of us that may go hypoxic) out on Klein Bonaire and in the park, but that is about it....

(FWIW, the fish life is crazy on Bonaire - from "rabid" blennies, and 6ft tarpon that use your dive light to spot fish to eat at night...)

So, how does St. Croix compare? My understanding is that the underwater terrain is incredibly varied, even close to shore (the north side of the island), much like Grand Cayman. There are reef flats, slopes, and huge walls. Can most of these be accessed from shore (less than 200 yard or meter swim?)

I will be visiting the island in the not too distant future. However, I am a hearbeat away from buying a "winter home" on Bonaire. I would like to stay in a U.S. territory, and I am looking for a good diving reason to motivate me to go to St. Croix and buy there instead.

Also, most Bonaire dive shops have a $75-90/week "all the shore diving you can handle" deal... Just pay up when you get there, grab tanks, throw them in your truck and go...

Anything like that on St. Croix...?

Any input at all would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Petti - eFer

On Sept 25th I leave for 10 glorious days in STX. I will let you know how the shore diving is. When are you going?

I won't be able to make it until November (at the earliest), January (at the latest)

I look forward to the trip report... I am soooo jealous...

L8r

Petti efer

As you heard, it's quite varried. the most popular place for shore diving is the wall at cane bay. That's the north shore, about 2/3 or 3/4 the distance from east to west end. It's the one place in the world they say that a wall comes that close to shore, less than 200 yds. (and yes, it's a real wall, not a mini wall) There is, of course, the Cane Bay diveshop there. Hal's a swell guy, treats folks well.There's big coral spurs and sand chutes with some nice swim thrus at the top of the wall between about 50' to 90'. Once you come thru the chutes, you're over the wall looking downnnnnnn at the blue.You can do a whole lotta dives there before you get the been there /done that feeling. There are actually, maybe 4 sites in the general area there you can do from the shore. St Croix is a tectonic shift island, the others nearby are volcanic, so we have both great reefs and deep topography. Diving there can be from beginner to trimix tech, a lot for all levels.
The single most popular dive, might be the cruise ship pier, especially since there are no more cruise ships. Deepest is about 65' and shallows out at maybe 25' or 30'. It's a mecca for marine life, so manny critters, especially at night, and such an easy dive. Definately a "gotta do". There are some small wrecks that are certainly doable from the beach as well, not far from the pier.

There's a lot to see here, and once you have a chance to meet others, you'll find new places to check out.

Maybe I'll get to greet you when you come visit.

Darlene

Yes it is a real wall. I free fall to Recreation safety limit and still hanging with the wall beside me. I was rounding a corner and almost bump into a sea turtle and we stunned each other. It was amusing to see a sea turtle pull an emergency stop. I guess it thought the same about me.

On a calm day, the vis is ........ 100ft plus!

Just remember, don't leave anything, even your sandals, on the beach. My OLD sandals were gone when I came out of a dive.

Don't miss the cruise ship piers at night! Unbelievable and unforgettable!!

Dive Safe. :)

wow- thankyou to the original poster for this- I had no idea there was shore diving in St. Croix. I will have to plan a trip there soon.

Any advice on where to stay?

and- as asked- do they do all in shore diving packages?

cool- I have somewhere else to shore dive......

I'm not sure what that means, I'm thinking it means do they have a fixed price for the gear and all the air you can dive for a week?

I have no idea, you'd have to call and see .... I know they have an air fill card, $40 for 20 fills..(nitrox: $120 for 20) best deals on the island.. maybe get a week's price on gear rental, and buy a fill card

Again, call Cane Bay diveshop for info...... Also, look at some of the other threads for dive info on St Croix

Darlene

Thanks scuba Vixen- yeah that is what I meant by "all-in"- I was comparing to Bonaire and Hawaii where I have got unlimited fills for a set amount of days.
I love shorediivng and finding somewhere else to go is exciting. I've checked the other posts, but yours was the most informative. Thanks!

Jackie

Just to add on to what Scubavixen has posted:

The wall at Cane Bay is one of the more memorable dives in my dive career. It really is a unique place and teeming with great stuff to see. The swim out to the down line is fairly easy, and the sloping sand makes the return to the beach a nice slow ascent.

I'm smiling now as I recall those great dives!

I've been told the cruise pier in Frederiksted is a great night dive also (when the boats are not in harbor).

Have fun!

I had my own gear, so I only rent tank and weight from Cane Bay Dive Shop. They charged me $6.00/tank and weight. I set up my gear at the dive shop and walked across the street to the beach and ........ $6 per dive, not bad at all!

munkispank once bubbled...
wow- thankyou to the original poster for this- I had no idea there was shore diving in St. Croix. I will have to plan a trip there soon.

Any advice on where to stay?

and- as asked- do they do all in shore diving packages?

cool- I have somewhere else to shore dive......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom