St Helena Island, South Atlantic, the best place for adult Whale sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christopher_B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
What looks like a microscopic, insignificant dot on a map, is in fact 122 km-squared of fascinating history, endemic birds and fish, and the only place in the world where male and female adult whale sharks are seen in equal numbers during an annual aggregation between January and March. Coupled with regular sightings of pregnant females, this has led to recent speculation that the island may be the specie’s hitherto unfound breeding ground. Other than the Galapagos, it is the only place to our knowledge where you can frequently encounter adult whale sharks on scuba. The biggest we have seen so far was a 13-metre mamma-to-be. Multiple encounters on a dive are not uncommon, and on snorkel trips seeing a dozen or more happens regularly in peak season.

We have spaces left on our St Helena trips in 2019 and 2020, the best place in the world to dive with adult Whale Sharks. Also great for dolphins, wrecks, endemic fish, and lots of history, all on a unique and friendly island.

St Helena

http://wetu.com/…/Land…/df5087cb-4f01-4500-b8e1-f1a0e7a6d1d5

I hope you restarted this - St Helena is a hidden gem. Had trouble taking photos as so many fish in the frame confused my focus.

Yep, we were there in March this year (2023) and have set date trips with spots available for March 2024. Info here St Helena Dive and Snorkel Trips

We can also create bespoke trips at other times of year, though the peak season for adult whale sharks of both sexes is January to March.

The answer to your question is in the post you asked the question in. And the link is there.

I’m fortunate to have visited its sister island, Ascension Island back in 2019 for work. Didn’t dive it but fished during my downtime and can say, it’s a magical place!

Attachments

• IMG_8176.jpeg
    IMG_8176.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom