St John (USVI) ??'s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dadiver

Registered
Reaction score
I will be traveling to USVI (St. John) end of June for 10 days. I want to know if there is any good location that would be recommended for shore diving. :confused:

We will also do one or two boat dives most likely ½ day trips. Are there any suggestions for must do/don’t miss boat dives.

Any advise appreciated!

You'll find quite a bit of info on dive ops and sites.

Here is something I posted after just returning last January:

New Dive Operation In St. John, USVI

Well, it's not exactly new.....let's say "resurrected".

St. John Dive Adventures is a dive operation that has been located in Coral Bay (East End) for a number of years. However, it stopped actively doing business 3 - 4 years ago. In 2002 Brad Richardson (340-714-7597, brad@stjohndiveadventures.com) ) and Jay Cash (340-714-7596, jay@stjohndiveadventures.com) purchased the business. These guys have reworked the boat, serviced all the tanks and equipment, invested a bunch of money, and generally turned this into a top notch service-oriented dive operation. For more general information you can look them up on the web at www.stjohndiveadventures.com or call them toll free at 866-771-3483.

If this sounds like an unabashed advertisement, which I typically would be loath to do, IT IS! However, I feel this is kind of a special circumstance since some folks might remember the "old" operation in a less than favorable light. Some may also only be aware of the two main ops on the island in the Cruz Bay area on the west end of the island and at the Westin, Cruz Bay Watersports and Low Key Watersports, both of which are fine operations. However, except for one weekly trip to the BVI's to dive the wreck HMS Rhone, they only visit the "standard" west end dive sites close to Cruz Bay. Having over 50 dives with these shops over the years and about 400 logged dives total, guided tours of the "same old - same old stuff" is pretty boring for me anymore.

So what's different about Brad & Jay's operation? First of all they are diving east end sites close to Coral Bay where their boat is located. Generally I'd rate these sites as better on reef condition and coral formation than the west end, and about the same on fish life and critters. Secondly they are about an hour less boat run to the BVI's to do the HMS Rhone, which cuts a couple hours total off the round trip and adds two more hours to topside vacation activities. Third, they have a compressor on board the boat (no nitrox) and keep all equipment on the boat, so no "Oh crap, I forgot ___________ on the dock" to worry about. The boat is capable of handling probably 8 - 10 divers in a crowded situation, but they run it as a 6-pack maximum and it is very roomy and convenient with this limited number of divers. And last, but most importantly, these guys are all gung ho as new owners with their own bucks in it to make everybody enjoy their trip, no matter what it takes.

One short example that happened to me. I only dove twice with them because the boat engine overhaul wasn't completed until four days before I returned home. Jay is in the water as a DM/Guide on every dive (standard procedure in the islands), and me being alone he also was my "buddy" the first day. The second day we had a lady from the UK on the boat who was a good diver, but hadn't been in the water for several years. Without a word from me, Jay said "I'm going to have to keep her shallow on both dives. If you want to go solo and get deeper, the ledge is about 100 yards at 240 degrees off the point and bottoms out at about 80'. We can meet back at the point after about 40 minutes and return to the boat together." I happen to dive solo quite a bit from my own boat and as a DM, so boy did Jay make me a happy diver! I strongly suspct similar flexibility would be shown to others who gave them a chance to observe their skills a few times.

Another example.....the first day Brad polled the divers and asked if they would like to sleep in and leave later than 8:30 AM the next day, since they didn't have an afternoon trip booked yet. WOW!

Also, shore diving is not permitted within the National Park, which is about 80% of the island and probably 90% of the shoreline. You can get away with it in a secluded area (I have), but if caught I believe it is a pretty hefty fine! Be careful.

The two operations you'll read about most in the archives are Cruz Bay Water Sports and Low Key Water Sports....both good operations on the west side of the island.

Thanks, Beachman. We've actually swapped emails with Brad and were impressed with his operation. The only disadvantage to using him is we'll be staying on the Cruz Bay side, but it just might be worth the trek over to Coral Bay.

Do you know if Devers Bay is part of the National Park? I don't think it is, but I'm not positive about that.

I concur 100% with Beachman. Just got back from there last week. Brad and Jay are great guys and we really enjoyed our dives with them. While in SJ, we also dove with Cruz Bay WS out of the Westin, and even though they are a good operation - it was much more enjoyable with SJDA.

Tektite was awesome - nurse sharks, lobster, eel, numerous fish kept the dive exciting. I would definitely recommend them. They do limit it to 6 divers. Getting there isn't bad if you don't mind taking a taxi (open air truck with bench seats and cover), or rent a car. Once there, there's not a sign anywhere that I could find - you'll go down to the small pier behind Skinny Legs (great for after your dive lunch) and wait for Jay to pick you up in the dingy.

It's definitely a worthwhile trip. Enjoy!

We actually snorkeled near Tektite last year. We hiked along Great Lameshur to a bay called Donkey Bight, then snorkeled out and around the point towards the Tektite Project, but we didn't quite make it that far. It was quite a swim from the beach!! Would definately love to revisit on a dive from a boat! Which brings me to my question: would you consider doing a dive at Tektite on your own off of a rental powerboat? We have plans to rent a powerboat for a couple of days, and that's one of the sites they recommend you visit to snorkel, not sure if Odyssey Boat rental allows tanks on their boats, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom