St. Lawrence River - The Robert Gaskin Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm pretty new to the underwater videography as well. I got my GoPro for free with a dive housing and all the connectors. Bought an Intova Action Video Light for it: Action Video Light - Intova and the SRP filters (green and blue water filters). My light is only 640 lumens and 120° Beam Angle. I think I might need something a little brighter.

Haven't used the setup yet. I'm going to start using my camera setup this summer and see what I can capture. So we'll see how things work out.

Next year I'm planning on taking it with me to cenote diving in Mexico. That should be pretty cool.

Cool. You'll get to the Cenotes before me so post some info and video of them.

Was doing shore diving on the River yesterday. The water level is down some but the current was still swift in some areas. Bright side was the temperature was 73F.

Last edited:
I was out at Eastcliffe Hall (Morrisburg, ON) in the St. Lawrence. The current was ripping. I went to find out why. Apparently, to avoid flooding the homes on the bank of the St. Lawrence, they usually only allow 9,200 cubic metres per second out of Lake Ontario through the locks. Recently, in order to get the water levels down in Lake Ontario, they are letting 10,400 cubic metres per second for the first time.

Glad to hear things are starting to go down now. Hopefully this means they are closing down the locks a little. I plan on going out to the Robert Gaskin on the August long weekend.

I was out at Eastcliffe Hall (Morrisburg, ON) in the St. Lawrence. The current was ripping. I went to find out why. Apparently, to avoid flooding the homes on the bank of the St. Lawrence, they usually only allow 9,200 cubic metres per second out of Lake Ontario through the locks. Recently, in order to get the water levels down in Lake Ontario, they are letting 10,400 cubic metres per second for the first time.

Glad to hear things are starting to go down now. Hopefully this means they are closing down the locks a little. I plan on going out to the Robert Gaskin on the August long weekend.

Guys just came back from the Keystorm wreck and reported strong currents on the that wreck too. I was planning on doing the Eastcliffe Hall wreck a couple weeks ago but the thunderstorms caused my group to cancel. Looks like we may be trying to dive it this weekend. Some reports say the current and water levels may settle down in the fall, but its hard to imagine with all the rain we are getting.

simply put, it is a complete CF! I have family on Lake Ontario, and the water remains at near record levels. Likely little to no change into fall is possible, and then the seasonal heavy rains begin......

I did a 3 minute safety stop on the Eastcliffe Hall. i was hanging on for dear life and sticking out like a flag on a pole. On my second dive, did another 3 minute safety stop. During that stop I started sliding up the line. Just an inch or two each minute but I really had to squeeze to not slide way up the line. When I got on the boat I realized all the rubber on my palms was gone. Like I said, the current was just ripping last weekend.

I'm going out to the St. Clair River this weekend. Hopefully things are better out there.

simply put, it is a complete CF! I have family on Lake Ontario, and the water remains at near record levels. Likely little to no change into fall is possible, and then the seasonal heavy rains begin......

I attempted to dive on Lake Ontario last weekend and conditions were so poor even the fishing boats were calling it day. Hope things calm down.

I did a 3 minute safety stop on the Eastcliffe Hall. i was hanging on for dear life and sticking out like a flag on a pole. On my second dive, did another 3 minute safety stop. During that stop I started sliding up the line. Just an inch or two each minute but I really had to squeeze to not slide way up the line. When I got on the boat I realized all the rubber on my palms was gone. Like I said, the current was just ripping last weekend.

I'm going out to the St. Clair River this weekend. Hopefully things are better out there.

Sound like what I experienced on the Daryaw wreck with the ripping current. Think were going to pass on the Eastcliffe Hall wreck this weekend. Few of the guys are planning to run down to Dutch Springs. Hope things improve. Good luck and have fun on the St. Clair river.

Back
Top Bottom