St. Lucia recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm intrigued by some of the descriptions of the diving in St. Lucia. So I'm researching hotels, dive ops, and dive sites on the island to pitch for our January inauguration getaway (from D.C.). I saw the thread on Anse Chastanet, but I was curious if there were other St. Lucia experiences.

we stayed in marigot bay for two weeks back in 2010 i believe. we used "dive fair helen" to dive. over all were very happy with them. the crew at the time was great. amazing views of the island from the dive boat. best sites were down close to the pitons. just beautiful.
i would not spend two weeks there again though. perhaps a week would be fine. but marigot bay has nothing to do really. but it was great for us at the time. we just chilled and watched sunsets. no phone. no tv. no internet. but two weeks there was too long. i think if i went again i would do a week in marigot bay and a week close to the pitons. that was actually the initial plan but it didn't work out that way.
first week we had a condo on the hill. breathtaking views of the area. the ocean. and the setting sun. second week was at marigot beach club. i would not stay there again unless it was the only thing i could afford.
had a good holiday overall. and we did it on a pretty tight budget. but for a dive holiday it would not be very high on my list.

and we did it on a pretty tight budget.

I'm intrigued about that. I've historically not thought of St. Lucia as a budget destination. My only 2 stops there were by cruise ship; dove with Scuba Steve on one (mini-trip report; yeah, the Pitons area was nice). It would be nice to know some good overall budget trip options involving St. Lucia; perhaps we'd see more trip reports about it. It's a pretty, mountainous island with lush rainforest.

Stephen Frink has an article, Estale, online at DAN's Alert Diver magazine. Has a romanticized flavor, as magazine articles about dive destinations often do, but you might find it interesting.

Richard.

the short version is we went in low season (oct), 1st week rented a second floor 1 bdrm unit in a 4 unit building with pool, had the whole place to ourselves 95% of the time, cooked most of the meals in the room, 2nd week we were all inclusive at merigot beach club, place was basically empty, dives with dive fair helen were also included, only paid about 500 for flight from small town canada,

1st week - the first unit they show was the one we had

I'm intrigued by some of the descriptions of the diving in St. Lucia. So I'm researching hotels, dive ops, and dive sites on the island to pitch for our January inauguration getaway (from D.C.). I saw the thread on Anse Chastanet, but I was curious if there were other St. Lucia experiences.
I can give a report in mid Jan when I return but I suppose that does not help you a lot now eh ;-)

We are staying in a house rental via AB&B in Soufriere. Reasonable price at 100$/night. Airfare from NY/NJ was ~650. I have never been to St Lucia so can't really recommend much. I have heard that the diving is all primarily on the south west coast so that is why I choose to stay there. I plan to dive with Scuba St. Lucia @ the Anse Chastanet Resort,

I can give a report in mid Jan when I return but I suppose that does not help you a lot now eh ;-)

I plan to dive with Scuba St. Lucia @ the Anse Chastanet Resort,

We are here now. Three days diving with SSL. My observations so far:
- Diving is on par with Bonaire I would say. Some sites are better than others but the best site we have visited so far is very similar to typical Bonaire sites with a steep slope starting at ~20' and descending to >100'. Large variety of coral and sponges. Reasonably good visibility ~50-70').
- The operation runs smoothly and the staff are all friendly and helpful. The boat is not over crowded (although that could happen given the capacity of the boat.)
- They insist on a checkout dive for everyone but it is trivial for an experienced diver so not a deterrent.
- One thing I do think everyone using this operation should consider is they limit the dives to 45 minutes. I strongly suspect they do this because they cater to a lot of novice divers and don't want anyone running out of gas. I notice fully 75% of the divers struggling with buoyancy or thrashing the reef. There is no accommodation for experienced divers even on the one dive were there were only experienced divers, still 45 min so we all came up with 1/2 tank of gas.
- St Lucia has a serious Lionfish infestation. I don't know what harvesting is allowed or encouraged but I have one photo that has 11 lionfish on one sponge. They are everywhere and not shy (so likely not hunted).
- St Lucia is absolutely beautiful above water. The scenery is just indescribable and there are a lot of land based activities available.
- If you rent a car be forewarned the roads are "interesting" to say the least. In town there is not room for two cars to pass. Outside town on the "highway" the roads are wide enough in most places but there are washouts and potholes that are not fixed, instead they just rope it off and let the drivers go around. The "main" roads (one step down from highway) are frequently unpaved, one lane, steep rock strewn, windy, with washouts... Use your horn liberally or hit someone head on as one of you goes around the hairpin.

We are here now. Three days diving with SSL. My observations so far:
- Diving is on par with Bonaire I would say. Some sites are better than others but the best site we have visited so far is very similar to typical Bonaire sites with a steep slope starting at ~20' and descending to >100'. Large variety of coral and sponges. Reasonably good visibility ~50-70').
- The operation runs smoothly and the staff are all friendly and helpful. The boat is not over crowded (although that could happen given the capacity of the boat.)
- They insist on a checkout dive for everyone but it is trivial for an experienced diver so not a deterrent.
- One thing I do think everyone using this operation should consider is they limit the dives to 45 minutes. I strongly suspect they do this because they cater to a lot of novice divers and don't want anyone running out of gas. I notice fully 75% of the divers struggling with buoyancy or thrashing the reef. There is no accommodation for experienced divers even on the one dive were there were only experienced divers, still 45 min so we all came up with 1/2 tank of gas.
- St Lucia has a serious Lionfish infestation. I don't know what harvesting is allowed or encouraged but I have one photo that has 11 lionfish on one sponge. They are everywhere and not shy (so likely not hunted).
- St Lucia is absolutely beautiful above water. The scenery is just indescribable and there are a lot of land based activities available.
- If you rent a car be forewarned the roads are "interesting" to say the least. In town there is not room for two cars to pass. Outside town on the "highway" the roads are wide enough in most places but there are washouts and potholes that are not fixed, instead they just rope it off and let the drivers go around. The "main" roads (one step down from highway) are frequently unpaved, one lane, steep rock strewn, windy, with washouts... Use your horn liberally or hit someone head on as one of you goes around the hairpin.

Very helpful information! I hope you're having a good time.

Very helpful information! I hope you're having a good time.
We are having a great time and it is really quite an interesting destination. The diving here is typical Caribbean, better than some (like St Martin) and not as good as some (Belize).

I know I made some negative comments but wanted the reader to have information not advertising. I am finding that one great way to learn things here is to find one of the many locals that is walking up one of the many steep hills and offer a ride, then ask a few questions. Mind you that I do this only for people who don't ask for a ride because there are a LOT of people who stop you and ask if you need directions in hope of getting a job as a tour guide (for tips). OK, that part of the culture here and helps the local economy, but it gets old.

I would also add that travelers should bring cash because because they don't accept American Express (or Visa or MC or...) in many of the small shops and destinations. The big resorts do accept CC but you will need cash to visit the local attractions or shop in the local stores.

Good report. Thanks for sharing.
I too would find a 45 minute limit more than just irritating. As with you, I push a 60 minutes time limit as far as I possibly can, when one is imposed on me, and hate calling a dive with half a tank based solely on a "time limit".

^^^ me too.
What do you mean the dive is over? I still have gas left!

Thanks for the write up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom