St. Maartens/Sint Martin & Saba 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTub

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just returned from my third trip to St. Maartens, with flights over to Saba for some great diving. The purpose of this message is to recommend the following dive facilities:

St. Maarten - Dutch side: Vinnie Agosti, long time island dive shop operator at Aqua Mania/Dive Adventures (same shop) Home located at Simpson Bay on the Pelican marina, beyond Kimsha Beach. Vinnie has repeatedly gone above & beyond to provide local advice and accessory services based on local knowledge. Highly recommended. Versatile dive shop with many dive options. One of the better outfit-provided night dives that I have done (. . . because you need a boat).

Sint Martin - French side: Two outfitters:

ScubaZenClub - Plongée - St Martin - PADI - Scuba Zen out of Anse Marcel at the Radisson Marina. Very French and operated by Jean-Michel Pelissier. This outfit is great if you don't require a lot of pampering. The rates are reasonable and they are very accommodating to your specific plans/style. Tip- the guard at the gate wants you to park your car and lug all your gear down to the marina - DON'T DO IT! If you are going to ScubaZen, he is supposed to let you through. Be persistent.

The other outfit is Octopus DivingOctopus Diving - Scuba Dive and Snorkel in St Martin / St Maarten conveniently located at Grand Case. The owners, Chris & Sally Davies, are proud of their shop and they work hard to please customers. They are more pampering, but they also like to stick with their routine trips. If you have the skill & experience, they will take you to higher level dive sites. They also work hard at locating new areas and they put fish-accumulators at the reefs to draw fish to the area.

Saba: Lynn and John at Sea Saba Sea Saba Dive Center - Saba Dutch Caribbean - "Dive the Sea Saba Difference" - Dive Saba! have the best equipped boats on Saba and are very accommodating. The dive sites are awesome, depending on the weather/water. Saba should be on every divers "to dive there" list. Consider an overnight. Fly the first morning WinAir flight from SXM to SAB and dive three dives on the first day, spend the night (Sea Saba arranged for me to twice stay at the Cottage Club with the gracious manager/housekeeper/hostess/waitress, Mai. Cottage Club breakfasts are perfect for a dive day). Then take a second day of three dives and return to SXM on the 5pm flight. If you like trekking or more diving, then go to Saba for the whole week. Sea Saba will make all your island arrangements and will give you one bill for all the diving, ground transportation, and lodging. If you do three dives, then be sure to order a lunch from Sea Saba . . . sometimes they forget to ask. If you are not Nitrox certified, then you should be for Saba because the dives are gorgeous and the extra bottom time is worth it.

I have been to St. Maartens and Saba a few times now, and I will be happy to share what I know. ScubaZen boat -sml.jpgScubaZen boat.jpgScubaZen boat at site sml.jpgOD Boat sml.jpgSeaSaba boat at site.jpg

looks like you had some pretty calm seas. nice !! we are heading to st maarten in may. we were hoping to do a night or 2 on saba but it won't be happening this trip. we were lucky enough to get over there for the day on a previous trip. maybe next time.

dido on the recommendation for dive adventures. vinny is great to deal with.

Family and I will be headed to Saba on the 28th for a week with Lynn and John. Can you tell me the recent water temps? Thanks, Ken

Octopus Diving is who I dive with when I am there! They are great! thanks for the info!

Hello,

I am planning to dive to become DM with Scuba Zen in saint martin. But inyour post You said it Washington too french, what does it mean? Do You think is a good idea going there?

Thank You for helping in my decition!

Great write up of the dive ops. Considering a business trip to St Maarten Feburary of 2013 but only if I can include some interesting diving. What is the diving like there and is it worth a trip if I can't include Saba? Thanks.

Great write up of the dive ops. Considering a business trip to St Maarten Feburary of 2013 but only if I can include some interesting diving. What is the diving like there and is it worth a trip if I can't include Saba? Thanks.

Can't speak as to the diving on St. Maarten, but while on Saba I did talk with several Saba regulars from St. Maarten that much prefer the diving on Saba as compared to than on St. Maarten. Be sure you visit if you end up in St. Maarten. Only a 15 minute flight, and the low level altitude makes it safe to dive and fly on the same day if needed. If you have any questions, I'd suggest talking to Lyn at SeaSaba Sea Saba Dive Center - Saba Dutch Caribbean - "Dive the Sea Saba Difference" - Dive Saba! She can organize everything for ya. Strongly suggest dinner at the Brigadoon! And I'd stay at Juliana's Juliana's Hotel on the Island of Saba - Great dive and hotel packages, services and amenities.

Jean-Michelle is a MOST accomplished diver. Do not pass up an opportunity to work for him. He speaks great English. Good luck. If you are still there in March 2014, then maybe I will meet you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom