St. Martin/Maarten

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"dive adventures" picks up at divi little bay as well if you want to boat dive on the outer reefs
Thank you... I have never been diving with Dive Adventures (We all get locked into those we have had success with in the past). My first dive in Sint Maarten was with Dive Safari from a cruise ship.

We only choose Ocean Explorers because we have had so much success with them in the past and it is close to so many great tastes in Simpson Bay (Dutch and French cuisine) after our dives...

Gizmos updated their menu(s) this year and we will likely try them (Dive Adventures) next year (since we are now home in south Florida today).

In the past, we assumed our DM (Jeppeson) was likely feeding sea life... Our education indicates that shark and other sea life feeding is frowned upon by Sint Maarten, and we realized our DM was simply cleaning the reefs of Lionfish and feeding them to the local sea life. He is very conscientious of the reefs and takes great pains to break up algae, build up sea fans and even help Elk Horn coral when he comes across partials during our dives.

This was a huge learning dive for us this year... I equated it to our U.S. Interstate system... This reef supported by Jeppeson... (Jeff) Ocean Explorers

In the past, we assumed our DM (Jeppeson) was likely feeding sea life... Our education indicates that shark and other sea life feeding is frowned upon by Sint Maarten, and we realized our DM was simply cleaning the reefs of Lionfish and feeding them to the local sea life. He is very conscientious of the reefs and takes great pains to break up algae, build up sea fans and even help Elk Horn coral when he comes across partials during our dives.

Is it the French or Dutch side or the island as a whole that frowns upon shark feeding? Have to say that the shark dive I did last year with Ocean Explorers was pretty cool. Surprised they do that particular dive, as they do feed the sharks, if it is frowned upon.

I understand about not feeding the sea life, although I've seen it occur on many dives when the DM kills and feeds lionfish to whatever is close by. Pretty crazy when you have a 10 ft. moray eel following you for more free eats!

Is it the French or Dutch side or the island as a whole that frowns upon shark feeding? Have to say that the shark dive I did last year with Ocean Explorers was pretty cool. Surprised they do that particular dive, as they do feed the sharks, if it is frowned upon.

I understand about not feeding the sea life, although I've seen it occur on many dives when the DM kills and feeds lionfish to whatever is close by. Pretty crazy when you have a 10 ft. moray eel following you for more free eats!
Both sides now. This, as it was explained to me, started toward the beginning of the year. They are allowed to kill and feed them lionfish on the dive. They told me that St. Maarten does not eat the lionfish due to a potential of some coral disease that could occur if the lionfish eat a parrot fish, but they still want to keep the lionfish population down so they often kill and feed them to the other sea life

Back
Top Bottom