St Thomas Discover Scuba / Snuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hotseat

Reaction score
We'll be in St Thomas for one day in September (cruise ship) and would like to try either Discover Scuba or SNUBA.

Any preferences, recommendations, suggestions, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay S.

I did a resort dive from the Navigator in St Thomas last Christmas and now I have completed 75 logged dives. For what it is worth I also did a resort dive and a snuba in Cancunl the year before and both are great. I would say that snuba is OK but very limited because of the floating tank at the surface. SCUBA I think is better but my first resort dive in Cancun I was feeling too confined and therefore not at ease. If you can be comfortable in your dive equipment than I think the experience is better diving. Good luck.

My wife and I did a cruise in December and wanted to try diving....I arranged a discover trip with coki beach dive over the internet...I am a big guy and need extra extra large equipment...they had no problem accomadating me. They were a small outfit with no frills. They picked us up at the ship (tell them what ship and they know when and where). Took us to coki beach..nice protected cove.My wife backed out and did not want to dive so they had an instructor go snorkleing with her while I dove. We did a short classroom session right on the beach. Then reviewed water skills in about 5 feet of water. When the instructor was sure everyone was ready(only 3 in the group), we followed the bottom out to a depth of 30'...VERY COOL! Lots of great snorkleing around and you could do a second dive for just a little extra...Plenty of taxis right there so when we were ready to leave, it was not a problem....Taxi driver gave us a nice island tour and dropped us off in the shopping district so my wife could do her thing....I enjoyed it so much, I am now certified and trying to get as much underwater time as I can......Hope you have a good trip

Depending on your timing......

The Chris Sawyer dive operations is like a 5 minute walk from coki beach. He has an web site so do a search and see if he would pick you up....do a boat dive ....then drop you off at coki beach which is a shore dive.

Chris runs a good shop. I have enjoyed all my dives with his people.

Here are a couple of options for your Discover Scuba Diving Experience.

Underwater Safari's- They are right at Havensight where your cruise ship comes in and cater to people off the ships who want to try diving. You'll get a fun morning on the boat with some good diving, most likely on Buck Island. Ask for Zan if you go, he's a great instructor

Coki Beach- As mentioned earlier they will pick you up and drive you to the east end for a shore dive. The beach and reef of Coki is quite nice and can be a good way to try diving. Ask for Chris (not me) or Harley good instructors!

Chris Sawyer Dive Club. Also on the east end, you can make your way over for a morning dive on their comfortable boat. Most likely diving off the North side of St. Thomas or one of the cayes (Grass or Mingo) to the north. They are a well known (on St. Thomas for over 20 years) operation and you'll have a great time with them. Ask for Tricia, she's a great instructor

Last but not least is Blue Island Divers in Crown Bay Marina. They just got a new boat which is fast and comfortable, a classy operation. Ian can take care of you there!

Enjoy,

Chris

Back
Top Bottom