St Thomas Diving - Underwater Safari

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I guess the woman is ok since I haven't seen any death reports. But making these events known is the only way we can protect ourselves as divers. When cruise ships and hotels recommend a shop, they should pay more attention to their practices.
While not excusing the inattention to the victim on the boat, I simply want to state that ultimately, as a certified diver, she was responsibly for herself. It is not a reflection on any dive operation or dive tour leader when one of their divers shoots to the surface. However, that being said, I am also surprised to not have read that the captain had spotted the surfaced diver and had initiated a recall to the divers underwater.

As a dive guide,I have been in charge of many,many 'divers' from curise ships. It is a very difficult,timed,and regimented dive operation. Guiding up to 60 divers a day on cattle boats is the only option when it comes to volume diving. My suggestion is if you are not on the big white boat,do not get on the one that's servicing those 'divers'. It came be quite a circus,confusing and intimidating. As to diver per DM ratio,there is no rule or standard I know of. Safe diving is up to the certified diver.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Back
Top Bottom