St Thomas Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I stayed at the Bolongo Bay resort in the early 90's and my experience with the operation there is similar to what Warhammer has expressed. Nothing but friendly, considerate service.

Then again, my experience took place some 8 years ago.

Bill

Gulfdiver,

We just returned from two weeks on St. Thomas and can tell you about three operations there. First and foremost, do not go with Underwater Safaris! That is unless you want to dive with 39 other people on one boat! They actually have three boats that carry 40 souls each and they have been known to send all three to the same dive site at the same time!

Chris Sawyer dives on the east side of the island and the dive sites there are pretty tame. But he does a nice job--it just seemed to us that it was mainly directed at novice divers. However, if you want to do your PADI classes in the USVI or do your OW Cert dives, he is first rate in that category! Frank Vince is one of his teachers and we think there are none better (He was ours.)!

On the west side of the island we can recommend Blue Island Divers. They have a boat that takes 8 divers max and they do a first rate job. Jim and H (short for Harrison) are fine dive masters and make your dives very pleasant. We think the west side diving is better than the east, but that is opinion.

One thing that may be controversial is the Rhone--we do not think it is worth the trip...but we have dived Truk and that makes most other wreck dives pretty tame.

Both Chris Sawyer and Blue Island have web sites.

I predict you will like St. Thomas--we do.

Joewr

Back
Top Bottom