St. Thomas - Good Diving but Overpriced Ghetto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"When someone says native American what are the first things that jump into your head?"
Thats what they WANTED to be called. BTW there is a little cherokee in my background too.

As I read all these posts, I have CNN on and been hearing the friends and families of the people involved in the Virginia Tech Tragedy. It kinda puts this whole thing into perspective.

I live on St. Thomas and own a business here. I grew up near Gary Indiana, once known as the murder capital of the US. Yes, we have crime here, who doesn't?? But, I feel alot safer here than I have in Indiana and Reno Nevada. I am white and I've been accepted in St. Thomas by the locals. Why? Maybe because I respect them and try to understand them.

I've read all your posts - and one mentioned Bovini, which is a low income housing project. We are personally "involved" in teaching some of the children living there on how to dive. These are what some of you refer to as "natives", and it pains me on how many of you cast judgement on them. They are human beings with maybe not as fortunate as you are, yet they are polite and well-mannered. We have learned to respect each other and enjoy each other's culture.

When you come to this island, do not expect to be treated any different if you flash your money or importance. It doesn't matter here. Life is much simpler, respect and you will be respected. Smile and you receive smiles. It's just like anywhere else.
If you come here and have an attitude or if you are prejudice against other cultures, then you get what you ask for.

What crime we hear about is usually done amongst themselves - gangs against each other, which is in every community in the states. How did this even become an issue here? My bet is it didn't start here, but was brought here.

Like I previously said, I do feel safe here and I think tourists should know that they too are safe here. When you travel to "third world" countries or even large cities in the US - Chicago, New York, Miami, do you wander into the darkness of the backstreets? No, and if you do, then you are subjecting yourself to trouble. Be smart, be aware, use common sense and you'll be ok.

I hope I opened some eyes. St. Thomas is a beautiful island with alot of history and culture. Come visit, learn and talk to the people who live here. I think you'd be surprised if you smile at them, say "Good Morning or Good Afternoon" what it gets you. Respect and be respected.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom