St. Thomas / St. John Dive Shops Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As many of the replies on this post have come from Dive Operators and people living on St Thomas, I'd like to get the "on-island" opinion from a different perspective, one of living, employment and working at a dive resort on St Thomas.

I'm a PADI certified active insured OWSI Instructor, and have the opportunity to be employed full time at one of the larger diver operations right next to the cruise ship pier, Underwater Safari's.

You don't hear much about them searching the web, or mentioned much, although they seem to do a ton of business and have a large volume of people going through their shop.

From what I gather via searching the internet, they are a cattle boat operation that does 50% of their business mostly Discover Scuba Diving for the cruise ship crowd, and the other 25% Teaching O/W or specialty skills and 25% common standard guiding dives.

While as a diver, I definately don't prefer the cattle boats, BUT as a businessman, they are proven money makers to put dollars in my pocket and a steady stream of cash coming off the cruise ships and other hotel/resorts guests. The opportunity to teach these divers good skills, promote continuing education, and certify O/W divers all while making a little money sounds like something I'd like to try for a while full time on island. I've worked at resorts on Roatan so I know what its like (still a job) but this Underwater Safari gig would definately step it up to "push them through the system" at a bulk diver rate. Just call it shopping/diving at Cosco in bulk volume.

If any of you USVI St Thomas dive operators/residence could responed (Even by PM if you want) that'd be great to get an accurate first hand observation on Safari's island reputation, charector, and operation from an employees view, not the guest diver. Even if only for 4-6 months during the busy season, I'm tempted to give it a go.

your thoughts are VERY much appreciated. I'm not wanting "cattleboats suck" viewpoints (so please keep the comments factual and constructive and not slamming biased opinionated), but more of Underwater Safari's shops employment personality and charector as a volume provider of dive services.

THANKS!

diver dave
PADI OWSI Instructor

We've used Sawyer(back when it was Chris Sawyer's) did our AWO with
Coki Beach Dive Club. Close to the East End. Their Located in Coral World's Parking lot.
BEST PEOPLE TO DIVE WiTH IN ST.THOMAS They have the best night dive, right off Coki Beach.
Say hey to Peter, Dereck, Steve, and Toby for us.

Thanks to all for such useful posts. We just decided yesterday to visit St Thomas this coming Feb, and all your posts are a big help.

Only dived there once before, and that over 20 yrs ago, with Chris Sawyer. Was very pleased with them and glad to hear Red Hook continues to hold their reputation. Think we'll be using them this trip.

Hope they are still offering night dives. It was there I saw my first group of night divers ascending from the depths, from my perch high up on the cliffs above, and it was spectacular to watch. Never thought of night dives before that evening, and didn't get my first chance to do my own night dive till a few years later. Since then I've been hooked on night dives, and always regretted not doing a night dive with Chris Sawyer while I was on St Thomas.

Red Hook Dive Center is still doing night dives (Wednesday nights, I believe).
While sad that Sawyer has gone out of business (always hate to see that), the folks @ RHDC have made the operation even better, in my opinion. You won't go wrong with them.

Alright, a lot of different recommendations, and most are fairly old.
We are going to stay on the south side of St. John's.
I would like to avoid the larger boats, but the key is to have a good dive master.
I am planning on diving 2 days, and don't want to spend all day either day.
Recommendations??

Back
Top Bottom