Stack timer question (rebreather use)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Indeed, it is a simple reminder, but we have grown to trust our 'magic bracelets'. I don't think it's meant to replace common sense and reason when it comes to scrubber time. The good thing; a warning at -1hr and alarm -30min, even if it's not factual, will drive the point home better than just a mental reminder. "...I've set up this timer, am I going to ignore it now?"

Yup, I like it too, and use it. The same way I like a physical printed checklist. It's easy to get distracted and forget stack time, this is a good thing.

I was just making the point that you need to understand what it really represents - there was some suggesting early in the thread that a few minutes added or subtracted from the stack time was a precise thing that needed to be accounted for so that you would get exactly the right amount of time that you were owed from the scrubber. I don't think that is really how it works...

I would hope that whatever time you tell the stacktime counter isn't so close to the edge that it matters if your turn on and/or prebreathe time was 2 mins or 15 mins. If I could implement stack time on my own wrist, I would have it turn on at 1 or 2ft depth. I could see why they might not choose that start for widespread implementation however. And I also somehow managed to survive without a stack timer at all so there's that.

Why would I want to cheat a computer. If a simple change can improve the accuracy, why not ask for it?

I'm already cutting the stack timer short by 30 minutes. But I would like to keep more accurate data on the scrubber. How much time I actually have used it since dive time doesn't count all of it.

Shearwater, thanks for looking into it.

You're creating a problem where a problem doesn't exist. If it's that big a deal to you, then shorten your stack time by 15 minutes. Should you realistically rely on the stack time to be your go/no-go decision maker, and in the grand scheme of things does 15 mins of surface breathing mean a CO2 hit? Probably not. My scrubber gives me about 6 hours of dive time. That's about, because there's not solid evidence that it will always last 6 hours, just assumptions based on experience and the experience of others. To be safe, I set my stack time to 5.5 hours.

15 minutes should not make a big difference. Shearwater should leave it how it is. Not too many others have an issue with it.

Back
Top Bottom