Stained Glass Diver Down Flags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rthensley

Reaction score
Here is the deal.

I am 39 years old, married with 4 kids. My wife and I both work for the State of Virginia. We are off work on almost all of the holidays (we are still holding out for Patriot Day), but the state does not pay us a bunch of money.

I just don't have a bunch of extra money laying around to pay for certification & equipment.

I have a fairly new hobby...........stained glass.

I thought I would try to use this hobby to help pay for my new (hopefully) hobby.

I have made some diver down flags out of stained glass. Each flag measures 8"x10" (not including the frame).

Here is a small picture of the red flag:

This flag is made out of Waterglass. Waterglass gives the appearance of looking through water. I thought this glass was perfect for the flag. You can also get Waterglass in a bunch of different colors. You can see all of the other colors here.

I can make a flag out of any of these colors, or any other colors you desire. Your flag can match your home, office, or your school colors.

I have also made a blue flag and an orange flag. You can see them in my gallery. There is another picture of the red flag in my gallery that was taken without a flash. You can see the characteristics of the Waterglass better in this picture.

Price?

It costs me right at $20 and three hours of work to make each flag. This $20 includes an inexpensive frame from Wal-Mart (like the one used on the orange flag in my gallery). The frame on the red flag costs about $7 extra.

I am thinking about charging $30-$35 for each flag (with the Wal-Mart frame) and adding actual priority mail shipping charges.

Does this seem reasonable?

I would be making $10-$15 for each 3 hours of work I complete.

Would anyone want a flag?

If you think this is a crazy idea, please let me know that as well.

You can PM me, reply to this post, or email me directly at rth169@western.dss.state.va.us

Thanks,
Trevor

Looks nice Trevor, welcome to :sblogo:

I gotta say I would probably get one, I can think of a great place in my office or gameroom that it could go...

Heh, it's a nice way to pay for ones hobbies. Unfortunatly I can't order one with a mother-in-law that makes her own stained glass art. One, we have lots already {not complaining, it is nice stuff} and two it would be family-political suicide for me to order from someone else.

Cheers

I wouldn't buy one, but that's because I've done some stained glass and would make one if I wanted one. :) I don't think it makes sense to make them in other colors, at least not in anticipation of someone ordering one - the dive flag is red and white, if it's some other color it's just a colored rectangle with a stripe. You might want to do the blue and white alpha flag too. You could even do any of the nautical flags. Maybe someone would want to display their house number or dogs name or other stuff that way. I'm pretty sure there are other people out there selling the same stuff though.

The price is probably ok for a simple design. I think you're not charging enough for your time, but I don't think you'd get more, and since it's a simple piece it would probably take you less time after awhile.

I would entertain getting 2.

I would probably want one. Could you do any custom designs?

Brent

I'll take one, but I don't like the frames. Can you make one without the frame? With just the black lead(?) around the outside like you have separating the colors?

Thanks for the all the feedback.

I was out of town over the weekend and did not have internet access. Sorry for the delay in responding.

The alpha flag suggestion was a good one. I'll make one of those sometime during the next few weeks and add it to the gallery.

I'll also look into the nautical flags.

I can do other designs. If you can find a pattern you like (or give me an idea of what you are looking for and I will look for a pattern), I can try to calculate an estimated cost.

I can make them without the wooden frames. All of the flages already have a metal zinc frame around them. I just put the whole thing in a wooden frame.

If you really want one, please email me at rth169@western.dss.state.va.us and let me know what yo want (red glass, wood frame, etc...). It would also probably be a good idea if you have an idea of where you want to display the flag. That way I will know what kind of hanger needs to be on the frame. If you just want to place the flag on a window sill, then no hanger will be required.

Thanks,
Trevor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom