Stainless steel knifes even worth it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine were.

A cheap plastic handled knife (free/found) on one rig
&
A Victornox paring knife ($3~4) on the other

Kept in small home-made sheaths on my waist belts.
Sharp drop tip was ground off of paring knife.
Blade was scored and broken off of red handled knife and the pommels were ground off too.

Hi, Gang!

Being a neat freak type--sorta like that detective, Monk, on television--I hated the corrosion that appeared on my SS knife after EVERY trip. I disliked it so much that I invested in a Ti knife, only to discover that the rivets and ring were made of steel and, probably mild steel, at that! So, there was good old corrosion again.

My solution: back to the SS knife, coat it with some Si grease--Nikonos grease works great--and ignore the corrosion except on the edge. So, after every trip, I resharpen the knife whether I have used it or not and the edge gleams in the sunlight--or the moonlight on night dives. This has taken a minor personality change, but I now look on the corrosion as a sort of "Red Badge of Courage". And I know the knife is sharp, which is what really counts!

Scorpionfish

400 series is rust for sure unlike 300 series you just need to choose b/w sharpness of the 400 and the rust resistan of 300.

what color is your rust ?if it red that chep quality stainless good stainless should start w iht with color rust first

Back
Top Bottom