Standardized Prices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The biggest problem with a wrist dump for me was that it dumped gas anytime I raised my hand to do anything. If you run your suit pretty tight (as is easy to do in warmer water), it probably isn't an issue, but in Puget Sound, where you want your undergarment well lofted, I found it was a pain. The shoulder dump allows me to use my hands for other things, because if I keep the elbow bent, the suit won't vent.

I'm similar to Lynne but have both options on my suits. When teaching or a very strong likelyhood of my wrist being the highest point, my dump is on the shoulder. Most simple, easy dives I'll use the wrist dump as it's just a very simple movement to exhaust gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find a shoulder dump very compatible with technical GUE/UTD style trim and posture. It doesn't dump much when you don't want it to, and often on ascents with multiple stops, you're hovering level and motionless with hands in front. From this pose, dumping air is as simple as slightly rolling to the right (right shoulder down). Super smooth and easy to control. Wrist dump involves a little hand waving, which might be an issue for your buddies if you're using a light in your left hand and not managing it well, or using your left hand to steady your right as you watch your computer (right wrist) on ascent. These, however, are very subtle things.

Last edited:
wouldn't your suit dump if you tried to shut down a post with that cuff dump thing?
i'm not sure what problem they were trying to solve when they came up with that thing

Cuff dumps are WAY better than badly placed shoulder dumps, as may be necessary with some back zip dry suits. Ask me how I know -- that's how I ended up with a cuff dump in the first place, when a now-defunct dry suit company mismade the suit I had ordered, and wasn't willing to do very much to make things right. But they WOULD install a cuff dump, which is how I learned to dislike them. And yes, the suit will dump if you go to close your post.

I've just recently had the opportunity to use a wrist dump. Having always used a shoulder dump it requires a bit more conscious action to lift the hand up to dump where as I just have to roll the shoulder. I think it is a bit of a "what you get used to" thing. For rec diving I can't see a real difference once you understand the parameters. Tech may be more selective because of valve issues as suggested. I agree with Lynne about crappy shoulder dump positions. Never a problem in my suits but I have watched a guy having to do gymnastics trying to reach his. Not to safe.

Thanks for the link Gabe. I haven't been online much the last couple of days because I messed my back up and it hurts to sit in front of the PC. Getting old sucks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom