Stargazer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good job:D
Vie:
And after the meal, they could use the pair of large venomous spines (found above the pectoral fins, behind the opercle) as toothpicks. :D
venomous deadly?

In addition to the spines, the stargazer (Genus: Astroscopus) can also deliver an electric shock by creating electrical currents from a specialized organ located behind the eyes (in a pouch); maximum rate of electric discharge can be up to 50 volts, depending on temperature.
strong power 50 volts

They must be caught off shore or in deep water because I've never seen one here. Well everyone agrees that it'll taste good but there's a bigger question here: how do I cook it?...(sans poisonous toothpicks) :D

I probably wouldn't try to eat something that can poison AND give me an electrical shock...

Otoh, I found a recipe that calls for both monkfish AND stargazer. :eyebrow:

Arros a banda (A banda style rice).

Serves: 4

Ingredients: 1/2 kg. anglerfish (Lophius piscatorius or ly Lophius americanus), 1/4 kg. mackerel, 1/4 kg. horse mackerel, 1/4 kg. blue-mouth rock fish, 1/4 kg. eastern stargazer (Kathetostoma laeve but since this is a Spanish dish, I wonder whether Uranoscopus scaber can be used instead...), 1/4 kg. squilla, 150 gr. cauliflower, 4 small potatoes, 400 gr. rice, 2 dried red pepper pods, 4 cloves of garlic, saffron, olive oil, salt.

Preparation:

Lightly fry the dried red pepper pods and grind them in a mortar with the garlic cloves. Add a little salt. Lightly fry the cauliflower and potato in the same oil and add the crushed pepper. Pour in water to cover the ingredients and let simmer for 10 minutes. Add the fish in order of texture and hardness. Add the saffron, leave the fish to simmer for 10 to 12 minutes and then strain off the stock. Add salt to taste. In a separate casserole, lightly fry the rice in a little oil and then add the fish stock.

Leave to simmer for 18 minutes and then turn the heat off. Let settle for 5 minutes before serving. The fish is served separately (hence the name a banda) as a second dish.

Recipe courtesy of Agencia Valenciana del Turisme.

You so brave:wink:
Vie:
I probably wouldn't try to eat something that can poison AND give me an electrical shock...[/I]
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Did you guys try Stone fish and scorpion fish?

So Stargazers are edible? Anyone know about how good they are, how much meat vs. bone there is (for filleting - the mature one I met up with was fat enough that I'd be willing to bet he had enough meat - but would it be worth the effort)?

Hi. jiveturkey.

That fish...
Lophiomus setigerus (Vahl)
Order Lophiiformes
Family Lophiidae

English name : Blackmouth goosefish, Angler, Sea-devil, Fishing frog
Japanese name : Anko
Korean name : A-Gu or A-Gui

They live Korea(mainly West sea, and South sea), Japan, and East Side of China sea
etc. I think they live a little bit cold sea water and they don't have any poison, electronical system.(according to your photo)

You can see the sign board or menu '아구찜(A-Gu zzim)' many specialty restaurant in Korea.
It's delicious but little expensive. It's famous for Masan area.(especially) 'Masan' city is located in South East Korea.

"How do I cook?" - I can explain it shortly.

Most of Koreans cook like this.----steamed with bean sprouts, hot pepper powder, some sauces.
Sometimes make soup --- boiled with several vegetables and etc.

jazzhong:
You can see the sign board or menu '아구찜(A-Gu zzim)' many specialty restaurant in Korea.It's delicious but little expensive. It's famous for Masan area.(especially) 'Masan' city is located in South East Korea.

I used to live in Changwon so I know Masan.

jazzhong:
"How do I cook?" - I can explain it shortly.

Most of Koreans cook like this.----steamed with bean sprouts, hot pepper powder, some sauces.
Sometimes make soup --- boiled with several vegetables and etc

Would that be a kind of 매운 탕? Maybe I should head back to Suwon to buy one.

Hi, jive

you know, 매운 means spicy and 탕 means soup.

so, sometimes we cook it 매운탕. and sometimes ordinary soup (no pepper poweder)

Have a good time in Korea

Mambo Dave:
So Stargazers are edible? Anyone know about how good they are, how much meat vs. bone there is (for filleting - the mature one I met up with was fat enough that I'd be willing to bet he had enough meat - but would it be worth the effort)?

I don't know if you can eat them, but I can personally assure you that they can deliver one helluva shock, I got zapped in the jaw muscle by a big one on a solo night dive after I apparently, accidentally disturbed him.

My jaw was numb for 45 minutes, and I originally thought that I had been slammed in the face by a small shark or something, since I did not discover the source of my significant discomfort for about 5 or 8 seconds. It felt very much like a very solid punch to my face; I wonder what it could do if it zapped someone very close to their heart?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom