Wanted Starter Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello I am just getting into diving. I am on a tight budget so looking for a good deal (unlike every one else who wants to spend like crazy ;-))
I am looking for a good set of reg/console to get me started and safe. I need cold water as I am in Canada and plan on diving Tobermory and the great lakes.
I would appreciate any help. I think getting my equipment will help me dive more
Thanks for taking the time to read.

Check out kijiji or some of the scuba pages on Facebook, some good deals there.

I've had some luck with ebay. A lot of people try diving, sign up for OW course, buy gear and never dive again. I've been lucky enough to pick up regs, computer and BCD for less than 25% of new price where both regs and BCD looks as if it had only been used for OW course. There are a couple of problems now, one, our dollar sucks, two, getting it across the border can be difficult. EBay now uses International Priority Shipping which is expensive. You end up paying for brokerage fees when they never charge duty. If you can have it shipped to a US address eBay is also a good option.

I'll second the recommendation for used. I've bought plenty of used gear. Just remember to allocate budget to get used purchases serviced before you dive them. Scubaboard has a marketplace section. I've used it with good success several times buying stuff from other people on here.

Alternatively, HOG has a reputation for making great regulators at super low prices. The problem is finding a dealer to service them for you. HOG is the only (I think) manufacturer that will teach you how to service regulators yourself. Here's an example hog regulator for $229 brand new. It's environmentally sealed for cold water which you will undoubtedly find in Canada. It's also balanced (which you should have learned about in OW class).

Like I said, the only problem I've heard of with HOG is finding someone to service them when needed. You'll likely have to mail them away for service or take a service class and DIY.

Last edited:
Sherwood has a special now to March 31.. Cost $995. Avid bcd or Axis bcd, magnum regulator, alt air source, profile computer console. Brand new ..$600 below msrp.

You might look at Dan's for new - at least they're also in Canada so there's no import fees. And a Hog dealer if that's of interest - also check out DiveRite regs there. I don't see anything wrong with the Zeagle Onyx Cold Water they're currently selling for $399 but I have no personal exp. with it although I do own an Envoy as a backup reg - which btw is not a good choice for you since it can't be sealed.

http://dansdiveshop.ca/shop/

Last edited:
I bought mine used. Look on eBay or contact BeaverDivers on this site. I put approximately $550 into my reg setup, that brand new would have been around $900 or so

One thing I learned on here when i was about to buy gear is don't buy gear to the skill you are now, but for what you plan to do.

Wow, started posts on Wednesday, purchased by Friday..... hope you did well...

Given your criteria, I likely would have looked for a set of new or used HOG's. Service of them is possible through Dan's to begin, and as should you gain interest in doing your own service, you could then learn it.....

The D1(cold)/Classic is what my wife used up in Tobermory last year. Surface temps were 45 degrees, and they performed flawless.

edit: My Canadian geography is poor, and I just saw where Kingsville, Ontario is. Nowhere near Dan's.... (not that I am a fan of Dan's, but it gave you options)

Back
Top Bottom