Wanted Starter sidemount rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

victor808

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Like the title says, I'm looking to get into sidemount and want to avoid the "new gear" prices.
The only feature I'm really wedded to is that it not be a bulky system. I'm not afraid of gear that needs a little maintenance.

are you looking for a warm water rig with <30 lbs lift or cold water with steel tanks for local diving with more lift? DIY is an option or maybe one of the HOG SM bcds that are going for as low as 80 bucks til you upgrade to a xdeep etc.

are you looking for a warm water rig with <30 lbs lift or cold water with steel tanks for local diving with more lift? DIY is an option or maybe one of the HOG SM bcds that are going for as low as 80 bucks til you upgrade to a xdeep etc.

Planning on using it locally (Missouri) and in warm water. So I am going to have to have sufficient lift for the steel tanks, but I've heard that people have been able to do the steel tanks with the sub 30lb bladders. I will poke around the HOG SM BCDs. I was looking at the DECO set-ups to put it together myself, but that looked like it would come out to be about the same amount as a used one.

the smaller bladders are ok if you are diving freshwater and don't have to worry about a flooded drysuit or 2 piece wetsuit. the DECO is a bit cheaper if you have a used inflator already and then put the harness together yourself just buying the lumbar/thoracic plate. can get it done under 200 that way.

@wetb4igetinthewater we're in the BCD forum

To be fair, I'm still on the fence on my regulators. I've got a Hollis DC3 DIN and 2x 212s, I figured I'd try just grabbing a second DC3 1st stage and check if the hose routing is acceptable with that.... but I'm not fully committed to going that direction. :)

but yes... my first concern right now is getting a BCD.

that is a reasonable option, although the 212 has a bit more plastic than i would trust if you are doing dives below 45F in freshwater lakes. maybe consider a pair of the deep 6 second stages too.

Back
Top Bottom